WineXpert Really active fermentation help?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildvines

Reaction score
I am making eclipse Pinot. Pitched yeast Monday at 425 pm with a reading of 1.096. It is really bubbling at a rapid pace through the s curve airlock. My concern is that there is a strong smell. I used the rc 212 yeast. Is the yeast stressed? Should I stir it more. Since I started I only stirred once

I wouldn't use an airlock in the primary. It could be cutting off needed air.

If you are using a bucket A sheet will do fine. All the co2 blowing off will keep it protected.

I am brewing an Eclipse Merlot. During fermentation I attached the lid and placed an air lock on fermentation bucket. Each day, for a week, I detached the lid, stirred the grape skins as instructed, then reattached the lid and air lock. The fermentation progressed perfectly. Is it usual practice to leave the lid on but not locked down, or am I following what most would do?

I always ferment with a lid and an airlock, my go to fermenting bucket is just under 8 gallons, and I'm usually making 5-6 gallon batches of wine and/or beer, this leaves enough air in the bucket to take care of the yeasts needs, and to be honest, I really like the acoustics that the Brewcraft 30 liter plastic fermenter and the "s-type" airlock produce...LOL

What does the smell smell like?

This is a good question. RC-212 has high nutrient requirements and if stressed can produce "off smells". If it is just a strong fermentation smell there is nothing wrong but if it smells like rotten eggs then the yeast may be stressed. If that is the case, add about a tablespoon of yeast nutrient(not yeast energizer) and give it a good stir and the smell will dissipate over the next day or two.

If you are new to winemaking you might just not be used to the fermentation smell yet and it may be perfectly fine. Either way it is not much to worry about as long as you correct it if deficient in nutrient.

You guys crack me up. Ya my instruction just said don't touch and leave it locked with airlock. But I bet they do that because a newbie like my self may screw it up lol.

@sourgrapes. It just smells like C02 or a sour smell. But I did open last night and stirred. It looked fine I guess.

I left the primary last night at an storage outside my apartment. To my surprise even though temp outside is cold the bucket temp said 76. So I was happy. So my wife is happy to get smell out and I am happy the temp is right on.

This is a good question. RC-212 has high nutrient requirements and if stressed can produce "off smells". If it is just a strong fermentation smell there is nothing wrong but if it smells like rotten eggs then the yeast may be stressed. If that is the case, add about a tablespoon of yeast nutrient(not yeast energizer) and give it a good stir and the smell will dissipate over the next day or two.

If you are new to winemaking you might just not be used to the fermentation smell yet and it may be perfectly fine. Either way it is not much to worry about as long as you correct it if deficient in nutrient.

It's hard to tell , smells a bit like eggs but not really. I may be leaning toward strong fermentation smell. I ordered a bunch of ingredients yesterday so as of right now I have no nutrients to give it. I will just open daily and give it a stir.

My inexpert opinion is that if you don't CLEARLY smell rotten eggs, you are likely fine.

Eventually, you will come to LOVE the smell that your wife is complaining about now!

I am brewing an Eclipse Merlot. During fermentation I attached the lid and placed an air lock on fermentation bucket. Each day, for a week, I detached the lid, stirred the grape skins as instructed, then reattached the lid and air lock. The fermentation progressed perfectly. Is it usual practice to leave the lid on but not locked down, or am I following what most would do?

Don't know what most do but I've gone from air locked primary with my first kits to loose lid with my later kits. At around 1.020 or less I'll either transfer to "secondary" or lock lid down, air lock and go to dry in the primary.

Hmmmm...I had the wonderful smell of wine fermentation for the first 5 days or so, but then had a bit of sulfuric smell near the end of the first week. I didn't know that wasn't good, as this is only the second batch I ever made. Hope it's going to be ok now.

Latest posts

Back