Racking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WineMonkey

Junior
Reaction score
New to the forum, been creeping pretty hard for a few days... Just started my first batch of kit wine (Wine Kitz Traditional Vintage Shiraz) yesterday and I'm confused.

The instructions say to only transfer the wine into a secondary once before bottling after only 36 days. However, after the reading quite a bit, it seems that most people rack from one carboy to another over the course of many months.

What is the benefit of racking from one carboy to the next rather than leaving it in the same carboy until it's ready to be bottled? How do you know when to rack from one carboy to the next? And how do you know when your wine is ready to be bottled? Should I just shut up and follow the instructions, or will my wine turn out better if I let it age in a carboy for any length of time?

Also, if anyone has made this particular kit in the past, can you comment as to how it turned out? I don't have great expectations, but would like it if it was at least drinkable!

I'm so excited about all the possibilities that come with wine making, and can't wait to try my first batch! Very greatful for all of the info I've found so far on this forum as well! Cheers!! :dg

Congrats and keep that excitment going....sooo many posibilities.. as for ur kit, one thing I know is follow the directions, they are restd and true and there for a reason :) ....as far as the racking back and fort, each rack leaves behind some sediment and yeast and whatever stuff may be left and the point is to eventually get to a crystal clear wine. With a kit here is juice only and not in the way of the junk fresh fruit leaves behind. Good kick and don't be afraid to.ask questions because there is always someone to answer them in this forum!!!! :)

Thanks icksicky, that makes sense! I'll follow the instructions and will hope for the best. :)

Welcome. Just to add a bit. Kit instructions are designed to make wine making as easy as possible. Also, kit makes know many consumers want to finish ASAP and suggest a process that's as quick as possible.

Following instructions is always a good idea and i wouldn't suggest changing them until you understand the process. Having said that, most experiences wine makers slow the process at least a bit in the later stages. Read some postings here and you'll see more about that.

There's two common mistakes you want to avoid. When the instructions say clean and sanitize, they mean it. Equipment can't be to clean and too sanitary. That includes measuring cups and anything else that touches wine. Also, at the end make certain the wine is clear before you bottle it. Wine does not clear in the bottle.

Tony P.

One more bit to add ... it is very common for people to end up with gassy wine. Check out the degassing posts and make sure you include degassing as part of your process.

Thanks for the tips guys!

Tony, I am a bit OCD when it comes to cleanliness, so the sanitizing aspect of wine making really appeals to me, haha! With respect to clarity, will the wine eventually clear in the carboy if I leave it long enough? Or do I need to rack into another carboy? Are filters used to speed up this process?

If you degas, stabilize, and clarify correctly the wine will become clear on its own, just give it some time. My preference is to rack into a second carboy when the wine is clear to get rid of the sediment, let it age (making certain to add sulfite), and then bottle. However, if you want to start drinking sooner, additional racking is not necessary. I'll just reiterate, the wine will be no clearer in the bottle.

You can go broke on filters trying to clarify wine. Filtering is generally used to add brilliance to the wine and it's important in competition. My wine comes out clear without filters.

Tony

Latest posts

Back