Quick fermentation ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eirikped

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all, Just want to say that reading the posts and all the excellent answers posted on this site has been a great help to me as I have just set my first batch of wine a few days ago. I have 5 gallons (23L) of Advintage Moments Merlot that I started in my primary fermenter 6 days ago. SG was 1090 before adding the yeast. I got a great fermentation process started on day 1 and this lasted for 5 days. On day 5 the Gravity should have read between 1.020 an 1.000 but my batch read 0.992 and all the Fermentation (bubbling in the airlock) seemed to have stopped. I racked it to my better Bottle carboy and put the airlock on it. The problem is that I havent had any more bubbling and I seem to have reached the final gravity in just 5 days. It says in the instructions to leave it for 8 - 10 days before racking again and adding the Metabisulphite, Kieselsol and Chitosan. But as my gravity reading already is at 0.992 should I just add the Metabisulphite, Kieselsol and Chitosan or should i wait 8-10 days before doing so? Any help is much appreciated.

Last edited:
It's done. You may move on the the next step. Several factors influence your musts fermentation. My musts always seem to finish at 6 days, maybe seven.

Remember to always use your hydrometer to check if fermentation is finished. If it hasn't moved any further lower it's finished.

Welcome to the forum as well.

Thanks for the quick feedback. Just wanted to ask if I should add the last bits and pieces as soon as possible or can I safely wait a few (2 or 3) days before adding it. So the question is really: can it have a negative effect on the wine if left fully fermented for a few days before adding the Metabisulphite and all the rest?

I have left my wine in the secondary for a few extra days before racking and adding the sulfites in.

You should be alright - i wouldn't leave it on the lees for very long though - as it could start to impart off flavors in the wine.

If you are waiting - wait to rack as well - rack and add sulfites at the same time.

Yes, it is likely done.

Don't worry too much about the number of days; go, instead by the SG reading from your hydrometer.

Temperature can affect the time it takes, not to mention small differences between individual kits.

The best test to determine if fermentation is completed - take an SG reading for three days in a row. If it has not changed in that 3 days, fermentation has stopped.

Good luck!

Back