Question About Steam Juicer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrzazz

Reaction score
So I'm in the process of steaming strawberries. I have a few questions.
How do you know your done steaming a batch? It looks like the berries are still wet in the top pot, but nothing has come out of the hose in 10 minutes or so. I probably got 2 gallons of juice out of the full pot. No clogs I mixed around with a spoon, the strainer holes are clear. Also any use for the left over steamed berries? Thanks for helping.

And should I stir/move the berries around in the top or just leave them alone?

Pour some of the juice back through. Also, once it stops dropping juice, take them out and drop them in the juice, it will boost the color and flavor.

I did pour some juice on top of the batch in the steamer. i just thought the berries would be more condensed. Maybe I'm over thinking this :)

Probably not. When it stops running it's time to dump the berries in your juice and either start your next batch or get the juice ready for fermentation.

I got about 10 gallons of juice out of 95 lbs of strawberries. The steamer worked great but thought it would yield a little more juice. Of course with hardly any sediment to rack off of I'm sure in the end it will yield more wine. I mixed 1 gallon of water with 3 gallons of pure juice. Started at about 1.75 have to do a TA test yet. To see how much acid blend I'll need. Not much flavor left in the left over strawberries I guess it did it's job. CHEERS :D

That's pretty close to what I expected. I just suggested placing the pulp into to juice to bring out a little more color. If you got that much I doubt flavor will be a problem but I like my strawberry to look like strawberry so I always leave the pulp until I transfer to secondary.

To me it sounds like you may be going a little long. At some point you will be getting mostly water. I normally get around a pint of juice for each pound of berries. The riper the berries the more juice you will get so it could be a little more. Also when done I turn the heat off and let it sit for a few hours. Any remaining juice will drain down.

I've never put the leftover strawberries in the must because of the many many small seeds in strawberries.

Short story; I did try making a elderberry pie from the leftovers from steaming elderberries. What I ended up with was a elderberry seed pie. Wasn't as much left of the berries as I thought in the end.

Also, if you stir the top of the steamer, the seeds will make it into the juice.

After seeing your final numbers you look close, I figure 11.75 gallons for 95 lbs. That would be for real ripe berries.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back