Pumpkin Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MedPretzel

Reaction score
I received a nice PM from a member here about my Pumpkin wine recipe. I thought I would share it with the whole forum. Please feel free to comment on it.

Martina's Pumpkin Wine

Yield: 3 gallons

2.5 gallons water, boiled
12 lbs pumpkin
2 cans of Welch's white concentrate
7 lbs sugar (or SG to 1.090)
2 tsp of shaved ginger root
1 tsp tannin
3 tsp yeast nutrient
3 tsp acid blend
1.5 tsp pectic enzyme
1 packet of Montrachet yeast

I froze the pumpkin pulp for about a month before I started this. Make sure you put it in a straining bag when it's frozen. You get a lot of extra water with them. It's a mess otherwise.

After about 6 months (racking when there was about an inch of sediment at the bottom), I added 1 can of welch's after I sorbated.

A month after that, I filtered and then bottled.

You could also add 2-3 cinnamon sticks to your recipe, but I didn't want to overpower the must with cinnamon flavor. I thought 2-3 was a lot.

In this wine, you can definitely taste the ginger in it -- not too strong, but it's definitely there. The extra can of welch's after 6 months gave it (what I call) vinosity and some depth. It also sweetened it up a little. Make sure you have your pumpkin wine sorbated before you add it though.
smiley1.gif

Hope this helps, keep us posted!

Martina

Back