Pumpkin Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kradman1

Junior
Reaction score
I had a potential alcohol reading of 16%. During my primary fermentation, I used Pasteur Champagne Yeast. I took off well for four days; however, Pasteur Champagne had an alcohol rating for 13 to 15%6. After 4 days of a good reaction, I threw in K1-V1116, hoping to reach that 16%. My primary was reacting as K1-V1116 is suppose to, but stop the 7th day.

My hydrometer reading indicated that it had reached it 16% I threw in the carboy, and it never produced any bubbles since that seventh day. Something seems wrong.... Ph. 3.3 /acid approx. .65 Any comments?

I would monitor it it everey week to see if the sugar continues to drop. The hydrometer is more reliable than the airlock.

You shouldn't use 2 yeasts at once. They can stress over this. Think of two people doing the same job in the same space. Stir it well and use your hydrometer. You may wish to add super ferment of similar.

Majority of my musts are done in 6-7 days. Pumpkin did take longer but there were other reasons. Are you sure it's not finished?

I have never applied two yeast...only if I had a stuck batch. What was I thinking to disturb such a good thing? Numbers are still good. As far as my hydrometer, in the beginning, it had a reading of 1.120. It now reads - approx. .996

My room temperature is around 61 - 62 degrees. Thanks for your input.

.996, it's either done or close to fermenting. I typically start at 1.080-1.092 for a gravity. Yours being higher your yeast have probably expired or are close to it.

If it hasn't changed in 2 days I would rack to clear and stabilize.

Well...I posted this issue because I have made Pumpkin for 4 to 5 years now. Primaries had been approx. two weeks and once in carboy, continued to buddle for week or so. It struck me as odd that aggressive fermentation stopped the 7th day and then no buddle through the airlock. I think the room temperture was too low. I usually make in early November. I check the hydrometer again, and the readings are right. It reads finish. It taste semi-sweet. I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks again for replies.

Latest posts

Back