WineXpert Primary fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milwood

Reaction score
Okay. I have to admit that I am very new to wine making but I absolutley can't seem to get enough of it. I am a bit confused about primary fermentation and I hope someone can help me...

1. I know that primary fermentation is supposed to be an aerobic reaction, meaning that the yeast need air. However, the primary fermenter I got in y kit has a hole to attach an airlock. Do I need to attach the airlock during primary fermentation? I see many pictures on the site that show the airlock attached. The instructions that came with my Vintners Reserve Cabernet kit only say to cover the must during primary fermentation. Should I be using the airlock?

2. Should I be stirring the must during primary fermentation? The instructions don't say to do that with the kits but it seems like it would be similar to "punching down" when making wine from grapes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Welcome to winemaking and the forum!
smiley32.gif

Attaching the airlock to the primary lid is truly a personal preference and either way will work. I attach mine just to prevent anything from getting into the primary. In addition to the air head space in the primary, when you makeup the batch and stir vigorously it will add enough oxygen to the must for the yeast. There is no need to stir the must during primary fermentation unless it contains grape skins or raisins. When the fermentation starts the CO2 will provide plenty of stirring action to keep things running smoothly.

Thanks Masta!
This is actually my second kit with the first being a VR Merlot. I used the airlock on the first batch just because I saw that the lid had a hole and that the airlock fit there so I just put 2 and 2 together. Then as I read more about winemaking I thought that maybe I had made a mistake. I'm glad you straightened me out on that one. I also have a 4 gallon batch of Concord in the carboys right now that I used a towel to cover. Hopefully they all turn out good. I can't wait until I can actually drink them a few months from now. Thanks again!

Back