primary fermentation 7 days and at 1.000

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xcaret

Reaction score
I'm reading my book which says after 5-7 days my must should read 1.030 ,mine reads 1.000 .When I first started it was reading 1.090 I was going to rack it tomorrow. Is this reading where its ok?.I used concentrated grape and assorted berry juice all in the same can.. This is day 7.
Neil

Yep - unfortunately yeast do not always follow instructions. I've done about 12 batches so far and I never know what to expect. Sometimes nothing starts until 3 days, sometimes its done in 3 days. Sometimes it bubbles, other times is just sits there. Use your hydrometer every other day or so to make sure its making progress.

I was wondering about this very thing this morning when I checked my RJS Choc Port, SG should be about .996 according to the instructions but is still 1.010, it is a little cold down in the basement or maybe the yeast didn't read the instructions. Not being able to leave things alone I added 2 teaspoons of nutrient and stirred but I was wondering, does anything bad or good happen if I leave it in the primary for an extra month or two? bk

I was wondering about this very thing this morning when I checked my RJS Choc Port, SG should be about .996 according to the instructions but is still 1.010, it is a little cold down in the basement or maybe the yeast didn't read the instructions. Not being able to leave things alone I added 2 teaspoons of nutrient and stirred but I was wondering, does anything bad or good happen if I leave it in the primary for an extra month or two? bk

Homer just wondering you do have the lid snaped down and an airlock on it correct? If so you can leave it in the primary as long as it is protected and there is active fermentation. I am not sure I would want to do that for an extra month though. I would try to warm it up though and get it going that way you can move it into the secondary.. Just my opinion.

I would do like mentioned above. Id warm it up. also if you get it up off of the ground it helps too. even if its just putting a couple of pieces of 2x4's under it will make a difference. I probably would only let it go till the weekend and then rack to a secondary. If you leave it on the gross lees you run the risk of imparting off flavors to the wine.

I can warm it up in my new Trunkcubator but I thought whites should be fermented cold or at least colder? bk

I gotta wipe the chicken **** off the clock to tell what tiime it is and you expect me to know what yeast I used... The stuff that said yeast and came in the kit. bk

Can't help you to much then. Different yeasts are tolerable of diff temps as well as alcohol tolerances. You should really keep a wine log and make notes. that way later if you want to make it again you can make it the same or know what alterations to make.

Cold can be good but slow. Sometimes too slow, as the fermentation can get stuck. Also, more CO2 is retained in the wine at low fermentation temperatures.

Unless you have experience with a particular type of grape and know what to expect, it is best to start your fermentations at about 75F and keep it there.

I'm reading my book which says after 5-7 days my must should read 1.030 ,mine reads 1.000 .When I first started it was reading 1.090 I was going to rack it tomorrow. Is this reading where its ok?.I used concentrated grape and assorted berry juice all in the same can.. This is day 7.
Neil

Temperature and other things can affect the actual time it takes to ferment, so don't worry about the quick time. Sometimes you can do several identical batches and the times can fluctuate considerably. Just move on in the instructions and keep pluggin'

Hi I am just going to give my thought on the RJ Port. I would give it a gentle stir and get it warm, I would not have the lid snapped down because with those flavoured Ports from RJ and WE I find if you snap the lid on the pail the higher alcohol content can use all the oxygen and "choke" the yeast that is why so many tend to get stuck. I also would not leave it in the bucket too long and risk oxidizing the wine. Kit wines have more tendency to go off if left in the bucket too long.

Latest posts

Back