Power vs Steam

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyandkory

Reaction score
I have always squeezed my fruit to get the juice out in primary.

Every third post or so there is mention on steam juicer.

Does any one use a power juicer like Jack Lalanne power juicer.
71F-b-wd35L._AA1500_.jpg

why or why not... what is the difference .... seems to me that a power juicer might be a whole lot faster unless you had pitted fruit.

Last edited:
You would be limited with a power juice because of seeds in Blackberries, Raspberries, Strawberries, even Blueberries. Steam juicer will work with all of the above and the other advantage is you can put the juice in canning jars and save it for when you have enough juice or time to make wine.

To expand on what SBW stated, which is correct.. Seeds have excessive tannins & other chemicals - apple seeds have small amounts of cyanide in them for instance - that will be released into the liquid as a result of a power juicer.

Power juicers rely on pulverizing the fruit inserted & draw out the juice that way. This would crush the seeds & release those chemicals.

I believe steam juicers add a small amount of water to the juice, but i think thats their only downside..

Except for the time it takes to use juicers in general.

A power juicer is a mighty piece of equipment but just for smaller
amounts of juice.

If you are processing hundreds of kilos fruit it will not help much.

I once did hundred kilo apples using a kitchen machine and believe me it was no fun.

I cant imagine myself making a gallon of juice with such a machine.........

Luc

Back