potassium metabisulphite

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danielgeraci

Junior
Reaction score
Store owner misled me about dosage rates and I added the equivalent of 80 camden tablets to 5 gal. of cider. Can I use it or do I have to chuck it?

Here is information on sulfite issues (http://waterhouse.ucdavis.edu/winecomp/so2.htm) ....I wouldn't add hydrogen peroxide to anything I was going to ingest, although that seems to be a way to solve your problem. Hell, with the amount of camden you added, you just might be able to use the 5 gal. of cider for sterilizing your supplies, or bulk store it to blend with other ciders to help stop fermentation. Dust off your knees, and don't let this stop you from fermenting. I am sure we all have beginner horror stories to share!

Welcome aboard!!!

Start another batch and check back here for your questions. There are a lot of knowledgeable folks here.

My first thought is to pitch it as well - but if you felt like it - i suppose you could just degass the heck out of it several times along with some splash rackings and time.

It might take several rounds of this - but worth a shot if you don't want to throw it away.

I would still start another batch as well :h

You need to tss it SORRY, or start 75 gallons of wine.

BE WARNED, you will get some intense fumes from this when you do. Hold your breath and keep your eyes away. Use lots of running water when you clean it out.

I would definitely complain to the owner, see if you can get something for his/her BIG MISTAKE.

There are .44 grams to a Campden tablet, and the equivalent of 65 ppm SO2 per gallon of juice or wine. At 1040 ppm (appx) it would do no good to even start with it if juice. If wine, it would bind fast and become undrinkable now and in the future.

1 tab = 65 ppm
1 tab = .44 g

Latest posts

Back