Pot. sorbat & pot. metabisulfite? Help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rshosted

Reaction score
Ok, I've spent the last hour or two reading old threads, but couldn't find one that was specific to my question:
First my question:

I have a fruit wine. I may sweeten it, but want to let it age a bit before to see if the flavor is fine as is (S.G. .999). The SO2 level is about 10-20ppm right now. I was thinking of adding 1/4 tsp Pot. Metabisulpfite (P.M.) to it (5gal) to bring it up 'about' 50ppm.

Now, if I do that, and I do decided to add sugar/juice should I add less P.M. if I am adding Potassium Sorbate (P.S.) too?

Will P.S. add SO2?

The P.S. that I have, directs me to add 3/4 tsp per gallon. So I assume I would add 3 3/4 tsp of P.S. and 1/4 tsp of P.M. for my five gal batch...?

I know I need P.S. to prevent re-fermentation. I also need P.M. to keep the wine preserved. But do these two ingredients act similarly, and subsequently mean that I should add less of both if both are going to be added?

Sorry, not sure if this all makes sense....

Potassium Sorbate does not add any SO2 and you need the proper SO2 level for the sorbate to prevent re-fermentation.

Go ahead and follow the directions for the amount of sorbate to add to your batch and add the 1/4 tsp of K-meta.

If you do decide not to sweeten the sorbate will not hurt the wine at all.

All is well and great questions!
smiley2.gif

Always add sulfites when adding sorbate! If not, you could start a maloactic fermentation that you do not want.

General rule: 1/2 tsp. of sorbat per gallon

1/8 tsp. of sulfites per gallon

Would that be 1/8 of "sulfite solution" per gallon? From my math, I put 1/4 sulphite (pot metabi) into five gallons to raise it 50 PPM.

Is this not enough?

I'm sorry, I was not specific. It is 1/8 tsp of the powder.

If you are at 50 ppm, you are fine. Did you test to arrive at that figure?

No, last I tested I was about 20ppm (before adding anything).

My goal was to add another 50ppm to get to 70ppm roughly. That's why I added 1/4 tsp to the 5 gallons....

Sounds like I didn't put in enough.

From what I have read, 1/4 tsp in 6 gallons will raise the SO2 level by 10-12 ppm.

Latest posts

Back