Post your high-mileage cars here!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
olusteebus
I am not sure how handy you are ? , But removing the injectors is fairly simple in that engine. I then soak the tips in water - yes water ! It instantly removes the carbon deposits causing the nozzle not to spray or a poor spray pattern. then take 12 volts sourse to the injector (it is marked +) and take shop air and you can see the actual spray pattern using the water that is in the injector.

Although I restored my old corvette (some things farmed out), I am intimidated about removing injectors but if you say so, I will look into it. thanks

Since we are on the subject I am going to share a story of something I did to my 04 f150 with 138000 miles. The gas mileage had dropped significantly from around 19 new down to 15 now. I was advised to not change plugs due to the problems that could cause in those trucks. I was also advised by a friend who has a bmw shop to add BG44 to it. ONe can in a tank will remove carbon. IF you do this in succession (twice) it is recommended to change the oil.

I did one can and have increased my mileage up by at least 1 1/2 miles per gallon. When it comes time for an oil change, I am gonna do it twice.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DDVU6EI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

You must change the plugs. They are not meant to last past 100,000. If you can't do it yourself, have it done. Does the truck run well? If it runs rough, it could be the coil pack(s). Is the check engine light on? I own an 01 F150. I changed my plugs easily. I used a tiny dab of Nevr-Seize on the new ones. Just be sure they are correctly threaded until the plug base meets the head and snug them. Don't over tighten. I'm convinced that is where the stripping problem comes from, same as small engines which use aluminum heads.

I can also tell you the mileage will drop. About 15 in mixed driving is as good as mine gets. That's why it never goes anywhere anymore unless it is pulling something or making me money. The drop is a function of wear and the fact that your pollution control system is not working as well as it did new. Ford did a lousy job on the pollution controls on these trucks, IMO. Lots of long lines to clog or get fluid fouled and intake manifold channels that are smallish. They also pack up with carbon easily. Ask me how I know!

The snake oil you added has probably cleaned up your plugs temporarily. I'm not totally anti-snake oil, but it does not cure problems only mechanical intervention can solve.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks JS. So I have a question that I know can only be answered by experience and opinion and maybe not absolute fact, but I hope some of you will chime in.

It looks like cars like the versa weren't built to be High mileage (given that the kind of maintenance it requires means that there's a lot of work that most people won't want to put in to it, like $300 to change spark plugs for example)

So, in your opinion, what are some good cars that have a good chance of making it to high mileage? In other words, what are some cars that make it easy for people to do long-term maintenance on ?

If this is too far off topic, forgive me and ignore my question.

Marino

Quite the contrary, the Versa will give you excellent longevity. It's just that they were arrogant about the plug location, given that the plugs will last 100,000-125,000 miles. But they will need to be replaced eventually. So here you go, a long video: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=putwah6xXN0[/ame]

When I bought my 93 Sentra, I was told it was engineered for 200,000, which I completely discounted. But here it is at 295,500 now. My wife owns an '08 Versa with 140,000 on it. Neither car burns oil.

I would have to say Nissans have been very good to my wife. She has owned them exclusively since before we met, starting with a 1977 Datsun F10, then a B210, then the Sentra, then the Versa. They all have run long long lives over 200,000 and the older ones were sold off to friends who ran them thousands more miles after us.

Meanwhile, I had been buying American cars. Ummm, not so good for my long use at cheap costs purposes. My current F150 has 187,000 now, but I have spent some coin on that truck to keep it running. My wife has made me a believer by proving to me for more than 30 years that Nissans run a long time.

Whatever brand you buy, be sure the engine does not have a timing belt. You want a chain. That choice right there will increase longevity.

Thanks, JS!

I've had the plugs changed at 150,000 so I think I should be fine..

Marino

I just parked my old 1997 F250 4x4 Diesel with just over 600,000 miles. I was the second owner when I bought it with 40,000 miles on it. It went through 2 transmissions and one set of glow plugs but the frame rusted away and it could no longer pass inspection. I'm going to miss that truck, It was my only asset when I started my business 14 years ago.

Latest posts

Back