Plum Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harry

Reaction score
I have a friendthat has 6 gallons of Plum juice his sister gave him to make jelly. He offered me 2 gallons to make somee wine, he said his sister boiledd them to get the juice, Do you think it will be good to make wine.he said they boiled pitts and all. Please let me know, if not i will make jelly out of it. Rather make wine Though LOL.

Harry

My parents made plum wine in the old days, but they didn't boil them first. I think they pitted them first and tossed them into the primary.

Harry,

I would most certainly taste the juice before deciding to ferment it. If it puts "hair" on your teeth big time with it's astringency I would consider passing on it unless you are blessed with more patience than I am. Boiling the plums with the pits in would have extracted massive amounts of tannins. They will take time measured in multiple years to smooth out.

Harry,

My motto is "Nothing ventured, Nothing gained!" Like Curt mentioned, I'd taste the juice and if it tastes good then it will likely make good wine. Make sure you check the Specific Gravity for the sugar content, then add sugar to the alcohol level you desire. Let us know what you decide and if you make wine, take a few photos along the way. I have some canned plums I'm going to make a gallon from, and would love to see how your wine goes.

PC

Thanks for the replies, I will take pictures and let you know how it is doing.

Harry

Unexpected plum juice...Free

Lavlin yeast...$1

K-meta and cleaning agents...$2

Carboy and primary fermenter...$10

Chance to make a fantastic plum wine...PRICELESS!!!!

GO GOR IT!!!

earl

Hey its just a little labor.. Go for it. and use long term corks. so it can mature gracfully with time

Latest posts

Back