PLEASE HELP_...super simple question about condition of must

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi....please tell me if must, when it has mostly sunk, after 5 days if it sizzles and bubbles a lot when u stir it. almost like acid...so different from when it had a cap on it.

well mine already had a lot of pulp/seeds on the bottom that sat through the whole process it was cooked and pressed chokecherries (little left in em).. and the other third was fresh/frozen saskatoons which seemed to be more on the top although some chokecherry seeds did rise to the top as well. I am 5 days into this after adding yeast.

when this happened I freaked as it seemed like it was turning to acid and took some of the stuff from the bottom out. this was an hour ago, don't know if there will be more bubbles at all.....but on the top there was little anyhow,

my sg is likely very close to 1000 now and alcohol is 12 percent. starting sg 1090.

I can still throw the must (mostly seeds and pulp) back in, if advised!! I still have at least half must in there (more saskatoons and pulp). I am getting the idea that its time to rack to secondary tomorrow but want to know if its normal for must to sizzle and bubble so.

Seems to be perfectly normal. It is just lots of co2 bubbling out. I would say its time to strain/ press and get the wine into a carboy.

there is all kinds of ferments, ive seen small caps, huge 2 inch thick, small fizzle, and a swirling kinda ferment.
I would go ahead and strain and rack to secondary.

It was probably trapped CO2. Stirring released much of it.

You should be stirring daily at a minimum. Now at 1.000 remove fruit then either rack to a carboy, sediment too or snap on a lid with airlock and let it finish.

OMG.. QUICK.... GET DOWN!!!!!!

Just kidding.

This is all normal. You are still activly fermenting. Stirring the must just "woke up" the yeat a little bit.

I would advise you to get a hydrometer. They run about $8 and will allow you to see just how much fermentation is left.

5 days is a rather short time to ferment wine. I have seen some wines take 3 weeks. Most of this comes down to sugar level and temperature.

johnT.

Latest posts

Back