Plastic Carboys

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think my yellow strap harnesses will not adjust small enough for the 3 gallon carboys. They are very adjustable, though.

Glass is better, but for some people, weight is an real issue. When you consider that 6-gallons of wine weighs over 60 pounds, the difference between the 13 pound glass carboy and the 1 pound Better-bottle is HUGE. I agree with Country that I would not use one for extended bulk aging, but for a secondary fermenter and several months of aging, I think you will be fine.

You are probably right George, but I have lots of glass ones, and so far I only have back pain when I sit too long, and does not seem to be related to lifting carboys.

I had to go to the city today to make an ebay delivery, I stopped at the health food store, they sell wine stuff SO IT MUST BE HEALTH FOOD!! I bought a 23lt glass carboy for 17.99, they had a 5 gal better bottle for 19.99 but no 6 gal ones, I would have thought about it, but you all have convinced me to use glass. Now you just have to get me to stop using my primary buckets for secondarys..lol After spending 2 peacfull days in the woods hanging buckets, the city was freaking me out, I couldn't wait to go home!

No comment.

Love both the city and the country. Couldn't live without both. Thank goodness for Ohio.

I dislike cities. I don't mind visiting for a day or the weekend. I don't like the smog, the unfriendly people, the offensive driving, the crowds, rush hour, gangs, crime, you name it. I am lucky to live 2 miles from the city limits of a town with a population of 9500. If I had my druthers, I would live miles and miles into a huge forest in a very large house on a hill guarded by unseen security, a large winery underneath, grapes and other fruits on the slopes.

you described my house except for the security, winery and grapes lol...I haven't locked my door in 19 years and couldn't find a key to it if I had to....my town is so small we don't have a police deptment, I own 47 acres on Walker Hill Road

I like both, but I prefer the country. I was recently in NYC for a while, and I thought I would go crazy because of all the noise. I live in suburbia right now. At least it's not an apartment anymore.

Can't boast about all those acres or growing up in the woods. Lucky for you!

I wish I was so lucky now. I live in a 'housing addition' now. don't ask me what that means. An addition to what? Makes no sense.

smiley35.gif

Well, you're a lot better off than me. I could spit into my neighbors' house from mine if I wanted to.
smiley36.gif

My sister lives on a horse farm. Now that is beautiful. It's tons of work, but it is just fantastic. She's my "supplier" for all the good herbs and tomatoes in the summer. Unfortunately, my puny yard has like 7 huge trees on it, which makes it extremely shady in the summertime.

Oh, so by supplier, you don't mean manure? Horse manure grows a fine garden.

Manure, tomatoes, everything. My garden here is the nicest one. Just can't tell any of those city slickers here about it. They'd freak.

Yes, some would. They will buy the same thang in bags and never know it.

Yeah, when my family comes out to our place, we don't call it manure. Oh no. That would kill everyone around here. We either call it "Grade A" (
smiley36.gif
) or we call it what the container it's in (horse-feed bags) usually "Grow 'n' Win"... SOunds like the stuff those city slickers buy at the Home Depot anyway. hehehehe

Shhhhh!
smiley3.gif
My secret is out.

Latest posts

Back