Pinot grigio Juice Bucket Low sg

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RegionRat

Reaction score
The Pinot grigio juice bucket I picked up had sg of 1.070 yesterday evening. There are were signs of fermentation going on when I opened the bucket. Is this a low sg or normal. Could the fermentation lowered the sg that it was once in the 1.080- 1.090 range. Should I add a couple pounds of sugar to boost ABV or leave it alone

I pitched 1116 this morning.

RR

Juice buckets often are pre-inoculated with yeast. Given the 'signs of fermentation', it would appear to be true in this case. So yes, a lower sg is to be expected.

Steve

I agree with Steve. More often then NOT My SG is lower than it should be because it started to ferment.

First of all, I'm horrible at putting my thoughts to the screen so I apoligize it this is hard to understand.

I found out about Lysozyme from a friend of mine who started some Merlot from Ragina. He tried like heck to get MLF going the finally called to find out why (That's when he found out about Lysozyme). He regrets trying so hard and adding all this junk to his wine while trying. He eventually stopped trying and now has a pretty good wine. I personally look at a balanced juice bucket like I would a wine kit and do not put them through MLF. I have made several wines form Ragina twice with Pinot Grigio, and have never attempted MLF have have had great wines. That's just my 2 cents

First of all, I'm horrible at putting my thoughts to the screen so I apoligize it this is hard to understand.

I found out about Lysozyme from a friend of mine who started some Merlot from Ragina. He tried like heck to get MLF going the finally called to find out why (That's when he found out about Lysozyme). He regrets trying so hard and adding all this junk to his wine while trying. He eventually stopped trying and now has a pretty good wine. I personally look at a balanced juice bucket like I would a wine kit and do not put them through MLF. I have made several wines form Ragina twice with Pinot Grigio, and have never attempted MLF have have had great wines. That's just my 2 cents

Thanks, for the input. The I totally understand what you are saying. I have the same problem trying to get my thoughts into text.

I did some reading on Lysozyme. From what I under stand is it will fall out with the addition of bentonite. If I can get mfl started I will let it run its course. If not stabilize and age. As of now it doesn't taste all that bad. I am sure it will turn into a good wine one way or the other.

RR

Latest posts

Back