Ph rising

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Main man

Reaction score
Hi:
I started 4 different kits back in early May. Is it normal for the Ph in my kits to rise as they are aging in carboys? My cabernet kit now is at 3.75 an my Zin is at 3.68 which is around a .1 rise in 30 days for each. I'm wondering if this is normal or what may be causing this and what I can/should do to correct it? Also, how long does it take for the CO2 to settle down? Each kit seems a little fizzy still. I have chosen to let them sit in the carboys until I need the carboys this fall so I have another month or two before I bottle. Any help is appreciated.

It is normal for a wine to decrease in pH as the yeast is actively producing CO2 roughly 0.2 units.
Of the finished commercial and Vinters club and mine wines I have tested the trend is they are 0.2 units above where I would expect the juice or must to be.
HOWEVER I have not done enough replications following a must pH, that I believe it always happens. Another project for retirement.

Latest posts

Back