pH and TA

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sorry for the basic question on the relationship between ph and ta for my Merlot from grapes that I am crushing this week.

Given a pH of 3.49 which seems close to the low side, how do I get the TA of .48 up into the range (.6-.9) without lowering the pH anymore? Given the right amount of Tartaric acid to raise .12 could possibly bring the pH down to 3.3. Should I be worrying so much about TA?

Thanks much,

The fermentation will be healthy given the 3.49 pH, so it may be best to leave it as is until fermentation is complete; check numbers again once complete. Acid adjustment can be done if needed based on taste after fermentation and ML are complete.
Where were these grapes grown?

Jonathan, there are many posts about pH and TA and differences in opinion. Personally I don't give TA a thought. Your 3.49 pH is nothing to fret over because it will rise during fermentation and ever more if you do a MLF. You may magically hit the 3.65 target. I consider TA a TAste factor and adjustments can be made once the wine has had some time to age.

Given a pH of 3.49 which seems close to the low side, how do I get the TA of .48 up into the range (.6-.9) without lowering the pH anymore?

Your pH is good and your TA is a little low. I would not alter anything at this point. Once you've pressed the grape must, you can remeasure the TA.

Ultimately the TA is what you taste, not the pH. This is why I target the TA. For a dry red wine, I like a TA of 0.55% but you should taste your wine and decide where you like it. A dry white will have a TA of around 0.65% but if you go higher than that then the wine will seem tart and unbalanced.

Latest posts

Back