PH/Acid Blend in Must

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmloughran

Junior
Reaction score
I've been making wine for several years using juice and this is my first go at grapes.

I'm crushing this weekend and have a question on the initial Acidity test from the initial must. I plan to make approx 45 gallons of a Syrah/Granache blend (18 lugs). However, I am assuming my must wil be much greater than the total 45 gallons and will fill close to a 350 liter primary fermantation bucket.

Do I base my acidity readings on the approx 45 gallons of finished juice or the entire size of the must which presumaly is greater? And should i aim for say a .6 due to the fact that it will increase during Malolactic fermentation?

Any insight would be appreciated. -M

I had the same thing happen - i planned on 15 gallons of must - but ended up with more like 19 gallons.

I just adjusted accordingly. IMO - I would go off how much must you actually have. I like to estimate about how much i will use - but will adjust when i get my actual must amounts.

Back