Other PakLab Sauv. Blanc 23L Must Pail

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrissiemens4

Junior
Reaction score
Hi there,

Just joined the forum. I have been making wine since December of 2010 so im a newbie still. So therefore have a newbie question :) Some kits say to top up the wine after degassing/fining, while others say do not. If one doesnt top up the carboy to near the bung, will it oxidize? or will it be ok not topping up? I have always topped it up, using either similar previously made wines or purchased wine. What do you guys/gals do?

Thanks and sorry for the intro question!
Chris

No need to apologize. The bottom line is YES always top up after stabilizing with a like wine. You can also rack down from 6 gallons to 5 gallon carboys and some other smaller jugs and bottles.

+1 to what Dan said. It's always best to top off after degassing as there is not as much CO2 for protection. I always use a similar wine. Good Luck!!

Chris - topping up is one of those oft discussed items on here. Try to minimize topping up requirements by:
- not being afraid to transfer some sediment during initial rackings; there's still good wine in much of it;
- putting leftover sediment in a clear wine bottle and letting it resettle; wine can be recovered this way and saved for topping up later;
- getting some used Mexican ( smooth sided) carboys ( no longer made); they are closer to 23 liters than the Italian ones ( ribbed sides) which are about 24 liters;
- make sure your 23 liter mark on your bucket is accurate;
- get some smaller sized carboys as well so you can rack down in size when convenient eg, rack from 23(4) liters down to a 19 plus a 3 or 4 or other combinations as Dan said.
Don't worry, in time you will be acquiring lots more equipment!!

Dugger:

I have both types of glass carboys and did not know about the size difference. Will now save the smooth one for initial racking so I won't need as much topping.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back