Our Crazy State Alcohol Laws: A Farce in Nine Acts

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibglowin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
An excellent Wine Blog post from the fine people at Tablas Creek Vineyards regarding the many crazy (mostly) State and Local laws designed to inhibit competition and protect the 3 Tier (good ole boy) system of selling alcohol.

You PA'ers must REALLY love your 18% 1936 Johnstown Flood Tax on alcohol…... :d

Our Crazy State Alcohol Laws: A Farce in Nine Acts

There seem to be a lot of weird laws out there about wine. A while back someone posted a link to a state by state breakdown of what you need to know to make wine. At the time we were considering moving and the KY state laws scared me out of looking in KY. They have the normal you can make 100 gals per adult in household (up to 2) but also have a law about amount of alc in the home at any given time. Law says amount total should include anything containing more than one percent alcohol (like many flavor extracts), or anything spurious or imitation meant to be used with or as alcohol. To me that means buying Near Beer or margarita mix, even without any alch in it, is counted as part of the legal amount you are permitted to have in your home. I pulled the quote below.

“Alcoholic beverage” means every liquid or solid, whether patented or not, containing alcohol in an amount in excess of more than one percent (1%) of alcohol by volume, which is fit for beverage purposes. It includes every spurious or imitation liquor sold as, or under any name commonly used for, alcoholic beverages, whether containing any alcohol or not.

Here is the page that for that quote

http://blog.americanwinegrape.com/index.php/2012/06/07/kentucky-home-wine-making-laws/

Pam in cinti

Pam, I think that is to more include when a person is making other alcohols, such as beer, or making extracts. I don't think it's intended that you can't HAVE it in your house, otherwise people couldn't have stocked wine cellars.

Latest posts

Back