WineXpert Old world and new world wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, I have to ask: sell it or drink it?

That is the eternal wine lover's question. Over my lifetime I have purchased several bottles of Yquem sauterne and red Bordeaux' for under $100 that with aging ended up being worth well over thousand dollars. Each time I drink rather than sold. No regrets looking back over the decision. I will drink the Château Margaux as well. The only question left is when do I pop the cork? The 1996 Margaux will age well for another 25 years. And it's flavor profile is predicted to improve over the next 15 years. However I am too old to wait that long. :h

So to dig a little deeper.... who makes a better wine? France or italy?

My personal answer. I collectively feel as a whole, Italy is number 1. France 2. Then possible south America or south africa.

My personal answer. I collectively feel as a whole, Italy is number 1. France 2. Then possible south America or south africa.

I am not a believer in there being a number one or a single best of just about anything, except for my wife. Both countries can produce world-class stunning wines. The terroir, techniques and grape varieties are different. Neither is better than the other in my opinion. It's a matter of preference. By the way, both countries produce plenty of swill as well.

Can someone send this post to my wife?

Hahahaha just leave your computer open and have this post up =)

What country would you say is starting to become a big wine producer? I would never guess south Africa or America would have such noble wine grapes

Do you really put South Africa ahead of the US and Australia? I would have them quite a bit behind those two.

No, good point. Barossa and Sonoma are very good. But I will say a South America malbec is pretty impressive.

Latest posts

Back