Cellar Craft Old Vines Mencia (UPDATE)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibglowin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Holy Cow......

This was a Limited Release from 2009 I think. I bought it on "close out" from FVW. People didn't buy it because they had never tried it I guess. I just opened the first full bottle. Thats right, 1st FULL bottle..... Its exactly 2 years old now. This guy spent 3 months in a Vadai followed by a year of bulk aging followed by an extra ounce of Med Toast French Oak beans along with a nice dose of Tancor Grand Cru.

I knew it was going to be good as the splits I had tried at 12 and 14 months were exceptional but I really didn't think a "kit" wine could taste this good. This thing is amazing. Its like a Pinot Noir on STEROIDS. Absolutely no "kit wine" taste what so ever. I am my own worst enemy when it comes to my wines but this guy is no less than exceptional..... :hug

It is an exceptional wine. It was the first red wine kit I made in November of 2010. I wasn't too impressed until the 1 year mark at Thanksgiving of 2011. I knew I had a good wine then. At 28 months it is now as you say "exceptional" It is like a pinot noir, but better. There is a spiciness on the finish that is quite addictive and it has very smooth tannins. I am really hoping that a kit company will offer Mencia again. I wouldn't hesitate to make it. I have 7 bottles left and will take my time consuming them.

Excellent to hear! Some of these vines are 60 years old. Most are grown on rocky hillsides which contribute to the unique flavor. This wine is now in FULL rotation! :sm

Here we go again!:wy Don't y'all just love it when folks (myself included) post comments about how wonderful a wine is from a kit that IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE. I do it all the time with the RJS EP Trapani Syrah from several years ago.
That's just wonderful Mike, FOR YOU!
Really, that wine had a lot going for it, special limited find, closeout price, barrel time, your tweaks and two years rest. Oh, and an excellent vintner. Congrats!

Thanks Tony! I am just about out of any/all wines that have not have any Vadai barrel time. It really is amazing what these tweaks (and time of course) can do. The wines that I still have that did not have any Vadai barrel time are no just comparison quality wise.

That's great to hear, Mike. Gotta love what a Vadai can do for a wine.

Back