old vine zin?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kendo

Reaction score
ok is there a big difference in old vine zin grapes compared to regular zin grapes?.i mean regular zin grapes are 9 dollars cheaper a lug which is alot when your buying alot of lugs...opinions???:pee

Absolutely. Those old vines have a total different flavor profile in their fruit. The older the vine, the deeper the root system, the more it can pull out of the "terroir".

As a Zin vine gets older and older, it produces less and less fruit. What little fruit is produced gets all the goodies from the vine.

Similar thing happens on other varieties as when vine load is thinned on purpose to lower the yield in order to increase richness and flavor (quality) of the remaining fruit.

OVZ is worth a reasonable extra cost, IMO.

Lodi Zin update

I was out in a vineyard today by Lodi looking at some Tempranillo. The Zin in the vineyard next door was at 19 brix. Probably still a few weeks away from harvest here.

I was out in a vineyard today by Lodi looking at some Tempranillo. The Zin in the vineyard next door was at 19 brix. Probably still a few weeks away from harvest here.

Yep, a while yet before the Lodi OVZ harvest. That stuff can get pretty high in brix before it is picked.

Back