OK Blend??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcorey

Reaction score
I have 80 liters of a Malbec (88%) and cab sauv (12%) blend from Chilean grapes in a Hungarian oak barrel. The wine is thin/light colored - I think because I cold stabilized it.

I also have 80 liters of petite sirah (85%) and red zin (15%) in carboys.

I'm thinking about blending 40 liters of the PS-zin with the malbec to give it more color. If I did, the final blend would be:

Malbec: 43.71%
Cab sauve: 6.29%
PEtite sirah: 42.52%
Zin: 7.48 %

I know this isn't a typical blend. Any thoughts?? Good idea/bad idea?

I'm really excited about the petite sirah and I feel a little guilty for sacrificing half of it but I will still have 40 liters to age in my 40 L barrel and the other half could enhance the Malbec

Sent from my iPhone

Mixttibsk

Last edited:
The only way I know to figure out what to do in terms of blending is to do bench trials. Start with 10% of one, 90% of the other in a glass, increase to 20/80 in glass 2, 30/70 in glass three, etc... Taste them with a few folks and narrow it down to the best and if you want, play with some even more precise percentages.

It could end up being a lot of wine drinking, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding volunteers for that!!

Back