oak barrels

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oak barrels have to stay full at all times with wine. i think you have about a 3 day period in which to they can stay dry. any longer and the wood will shrink and will have major leaks in them.

has anyone tried a different type of wood like alder, beech, or maple to flavor there wine?

I have used apple chips in apple wine with good results, but be very careful. Some woods might contain aromatic oils that are not so good in wine. Jack Keller uses some different types of wood such as mesquite. I know a guy in Minnesota who uses cherry and maple woods.

George said "go read my article on oak:"

The red wine kits I've make have come with oak chips or powder to be
added to the primary fermentation. Once these wines are stabilized and
ready for aging, is it overkill to then add oak cubes for that stage? I
remember reading something Masta said about oaking all his reds now.

Curious to know if there is an advantage to aging in bulk over aging in
bottles. Except for the fact that carboys are tied up for the duration, is
bulk aging preferable in terms of final quality of wine, or is it simply that
this is the best way to fiddle with tweaking flavors (oaking, sweetening,
etc?)

bilbo,

It's all a matter of personal taste as to how much oak you use. The oak that's added to the primary will be integrated more deeply with the other aspects of your wine and be a sort of background taste. The oak that's addedduring the aging process is much more agressive and up front. You hit the nail right on the head with your idea on bulk vs bottle aging and tweaking. Wine actually ages faster in the bottle than it does in bulk. Has to do with air contact in proportion to volume, or something like that.
smiley5.gif

If you use the new barrel for a particular wine, say Merlot, do you have to keep it filled with Merlot? Or can you keep it filled with a variety of wines, so long as it is filled constantly.

After initial conditioning, keep it filled constantly, just remember that in the first 2 or 3 wines, you can't leave them on the new oak too long.

Masta - Thanks for the leads. Unfortunately the first one flames out. Could
you check the link to see if it is typed as you intended? If the topic has been
discussed a lot in the past it must have a lot of good content - I look
forward to reading it.

I was down in Del Rio, TX this past week. Went to the Val Verde Winery. They saidsome of their oak barrels were 100 years old. they would age black Spanish grapes for 5 years, drain the wine until the barrel was 2/3 empty and refill with new wine.

Latest posts

Back