November 2013 Wine of the Month Club

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, that what I did. Shake and I put about an 1/8 of a campden tablet in and it was like pouring baking soda in vinegar. Volcano!
The SG was at .99 when it finished in December and today .997.
Stupid DB :m

November WotM Club Update:
Lime Ginger is going to be awesome. Flavors are balanced. Still not quite clear, but I generally have had to hit my citrus wines with Isinglass. Maybe next month. Will be be drinkable young!

LimeGinger.3.JPG

This is my version of a 'double like' :)

I love it when an experiment comes together!

Finished an bottled.

It starts out like a dry white wine with a hint of apple, then it rips your throat out with habanero awesomeness. Bryan is still complaining that his insides are on fire. :re I ended up putting it in clear port bottles instead of the ice wine bottles - purely out of laziness.

I think this will make a nice, simple cooking wine - and likely mid-winter shots or sipping drinks to warm up a little bit. At 14.5% both the heat and the alcohol will warm you up!

Really looking forward to my next batch of chili.

WP_001255.jpg

Bottled Lime-Ginger today. Not so great. It has the medicinal smell that most of my citrus wines have. The taste is fine but I don't like the aroma. It is drinkable however.

Strawberry chocolate is bottled!

Strawberry chocolate is finally in the bottle. I give up! This will never be a truly clear wine. As you will see from the pictures, when the light hits it just right, it's hazy. That is the chocolate.
My final take on this is that although it is a nice sweet wine, neither the chocolate or the strawberry has much presence. There is some chocolate on the nose, but strawberry is not coming through. This is supposed to be best at a least a year, I think it may take longer. I have had quite a bit of trouble stabilizing it. On one racking, it started fizzing when I added campden. Today when I bottled, I used my vacu-vin to test the bubbles. Yep, there were plenty. I went ahead and degassed the best I could on each bottle before corking with a Zork cork. I am pretty afraid of bottle bombs so I moved them into the refrigerator to finish aging.

the original recipe from the beginning of the thread is here if anyone would like to try. http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f5/november-2013-wine-month-club-42000/#post467925

a few pics from today. No fancy labels on these. I doubt they will ever leave my house. ;)

hazy at a tilted angle

E945833C-D2E5-4ED1-A062-DD232B276B34.jpg

Angle 2, same time, same lighting.

B6239490-DF01-4D16-835F-B0C8D0857858.jpg

Hi Lori. My strawberry chocolate never cleared very well either but my raspberry did. Strawberry has a definite haze. Pectin maybe???? No idea what the differences are between the berries as to why the one is harder to clear. The taste of both are good but but not great. I will continue to age for awhile longer.

Last edited:
Was your raspberry infused with chocolate as well? I'm leaning toward chocolate being the culprit. In certain light, it appears almost brown.

Sweet mother of Hades...epic fail. EPIC!

I don't have any pictures of it, mainly because I wasn't planning on actually tasting it last night.

It's fairly hazy, very similar to the wine in Lori's first photo.

Manthing had some friends over last night and we were meeting his friend's new girlfriend. He thought it would be nice to have a few bottles of wine in the fridge so he grabbed 3 different kinds.
One was the chocolate cranberry habanero. Thank goodness we were the only ones in the kitchen when he opened it.
It smelled.....off. Really off. Something went bad, thought about dying, was very sick first, then hurled itself into a volcano bad. Just to be completely scientific, I took a very small taste. Gaaaag. It was bitter and...rancid? I poured the bottle down the drain. After our guests left, we opened the other 3 bottles and they were the same.

I have absolutely no idea what could have happened.

Youch! So sorry to hear that. Good thing you checked it before pouring to your guests. :(

I am beginning to think chocolate doesn't belong in wine. Doesn't it just make you sick that all that trouble and love went to waste?
TBH, this is part of why I kind of vanished from the WOTM club. I came to realize in about March that I don't like country wine. I'm not saying I'll never do one from "homemade" ingredients, I will just be more selective.
I think I'm going to start a 3 gal. batch of the Elderberry or black currant from the Vintner's Harvest concentrate cans.

I think you may be right about that.

Just grab your dark chocolate hazelnut bar and eat it with your glass of wine, instead of in your glass of wine, lol.

I do still like the country wines.
We also poured cranberry/strawberry that I made last December? January?
And the prickly pear wine was really good too.

but yes, I cannot imagine if I would have served that to anyone. *shuddering*

I think I'm going to start a 3 gal. batch of the Elderberry or black currant from the Vintner's Harvest concentrate cans.

I haven't made any wine in several months. I simply haven't had the time, room, or motivation to deal with it.
I do believe that my next batch will probably come from one of those concentrate cans though.
If you end up making this, please let me know how it turns out.
I'm finding that I really love the taste of elderberry in wine. I seem to want to add it to everything.

Ladies,
If you are using cocoa powder, that may be the culprit as I have used Lindt 85% chocolate bars in a few different wines(dragon blood, orange juice, etc.) and have had no clearing issues.
Just a thought.

Lori,
Good luck with the elderberry. Arne(on WMT) gave me some fresh elderberries and it turned out being one of my favorite wines. I used 9lbs. for 2 gallons. It has a very unique taste. One gallon I backsweetened to 1.008 and one gallon I oaked and brought back to 1.000.

I wish I could get my hands on some fresh elderberries. Not much chance down here though. I would love to make some from fresh.

I used Jack Keller's recipe for the Strawberry Chocolate. He says it must be Dutched chocolate. It would seem to me that the bars would leave a film since they use oil or paraffin in them when they make the bars. But, that might be just the thing that binds the chocolate and helps it clear.
Maybe I'll try something with the Lindt chili chocolate bars. Those are wonderful!

chocStraw-11-15-13a.jpg

Not sure about the oils, etc. I normally use the chocolate bars after the wine has cleared and been stabilized. I then rack onto the chocolate and it just sits on the bottom of the carboy for however long I want.
I did add some to an earlier racking of DB and then again in it's clearing stage but so far I have been lucky to not have any issues.
Julie helped me with alot of my chocolate questions too.

You know, on one of the other sites, there is a fellow who is experimenting with putting meat into mead...I think I'd rather go the chocolate route!

Mmmmm...strawberry with a hint of chocolate and of smokey beef jerky. :s

Sorry about yours @jericurl that totally sucks!

@lonestarlori I also got a bit discouraged several months ago with my country wines, but then went back and tasted a few from earlier on. Finding out that quality ingredients and aging really are everything. Kit wines I can age no problem, but found that I was too impatient with my country wines. Also, it appears that my extended family are suckers for country-style wines. They're the folks who also love the mist-style kits, so if it tastes like fruit and is a bit sweet, they're all in!

Well it's Nov. 30 and I finally cracked open the Habanero Apple Wine I made last year. My intention was to make something spicy for cooking with, or maybe a shot on a cold, cold day in the winter.

It's got a nice deep yellow colour, and has fairly long legs. Seeing as how it is around the 14% mark, that makes sense. I didn't use any bodybuilders in this wine, as my final goal didn't really require it, and I didn't backsweeten. I didn't filter it, but it's nice and clear without sediment.

In the glass, it smells entirely of crushed habaneros; but no burn in the nose though, which was a bit of a concern during fermentation. You couldn't put your face over the bucket for fear it would melt off.

It the mouth it was thin (expected), and very, very hot. There was no young wine taste, and absolutely no off tastes present. It was simple heat and wine. After a minute or so, it had an aftertaste of pepper and a hint of apple.

This wine has absolutely hit the mark in what I was shooting for. You wouldn't want to drink a glass of it unless you were ok with living without taste buds, but a sip or a shot will do the trick to warm you up. I'm very much looking forward to using this bottle in my chili this week and see how it holds up with all that meat and acid.

I will definitely enter this into the recipes section of the site. Great recipe!

IMG_20141130_210107.jpg

Ray,
WOW, that looks like a bullet to the mouth.

I made something almost identical excepty with 8 jalapenos(seeds from only half of them). I backsweetened it some and it turned out awesome, as far as a drinker.

I just started another batch of it. I may give yours a go after this one. Very curious how hot yours is.
Good work.

Back