November 2013 Wine of the Month Club

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the_rayway said:
Thanks! I'm totally trying that. The flame was already there - google! :) Edit: nope, didn`t work, it doesn't give me the option :(

Do you have the adobe suite? Or just the free reader download?

I use google too! I go to google images and enter 1 or 2 words matching what I'm looking for and go from there.Throw it in photoshop and adjust

I use google too! I go to google images and enter 1 or 2 words matching what I'm looking for and go from there.Throw it in photoshop and adjust

Yep, that's how I found my strawberry image. It had a white background so I just lasso'd it and deleted the background. Then gave it some glow to stand out against the black.
On my big batches I try to name the wine for a coastal theme since I live near one. I also like to take my own pictures that tie in with the name for the labels. But not for the strawberry. That was too easy to Google. :D

Ok, someone needs to give me a lesson here.
I only have the free downloader, not the suite.

And what the f** is a lasso? Seriously, you can do that?

the_rayway said:
Ok, someone needs to give me a lesson here. I only have the free downloader, not the suite. And what the f** is a lasso? Seriously, you can do that?

Haha! Well those are two different software suites... Both from adobe though. So in Adobe photoshop you have a tool called lasso which you click and it outlines an object in a photo and you can cut it out or do other things to it from what I remember. It's definitely not what the cowboys and girls :) do lol

The other is the full adobe suite for the PDFs where the software makes the PDFs completely editable and modifiable etc. The reader doesn't have any of those capabilities only reading PDFs. See if you can get your hands on the full adobe software suite it does have some very handy tools etc.

Or you can just use this

www.picmonkey.com/

And you can get pics of labels in google and edit them the way that you want them for faster results using this

I use pic monkey and print shop both. Not high end but they work for me. I used to have a real good photo editing software but apparently PC software from 2000 doesn't work on my 2013 Mac.

Wow, thanks everyone! I think it's time to look into something like one of these. I'm definitely cheap, so it sill likely be one of the free programs to start.

:slp Lasoo! :)

Pumpkin Pie Wine Update: ran a bench test past the wife tonight for back-sweetening.
sample 1 (.3 g sugar to 2 oz wine) : dryer than we like, can taste the spices and a hint of the pumpkin
sample 2: (.5 g sugar to 2 oz wine) : taste was lacking all around. Didn't like this sample for sweetness or flavor
sample 3: (1.0 g sugar to 2 oz wine) : this sample was sweeter, but the sweetness seemed to drown out some of the spice flavor. Still not a lot of the pumpkin taste.

The pumpkin seems to be lacking all around. I am hoping that it will become stronger as this ages and also meld into the spices.

Plan: to let this bulk age in the jug until April and rack/re-taste to see how it is progressing.
Things to watch: does the pumpkin flavor come forward as it ages? (I hope so)

Lime-Ginger wine is still very hazy. I've had to use Isinglass on most of my citrus wines so that is not a big surprise. I'm in no hurry, though, still needs a few months/rackings.

Strawberry-Chocolate Wine

I set out to make onion wine for the wine of the month Club, but started going through my 'I wanna make this' file and decided to start with the Chocolate strawberry from Jack Keller. Because this needs a year to become it's best, I thought I would bump it up so I can give it as gifts next Christmas. This is Jacks recipe from his website.

4 pounds sliced ripe strawberries (frozen sliced have best ripeness)
4 oz Dutched cocoa powder (I ordered some from Amazon to be sure it was Dutch)
11.5-oz can Welch's 100% Red Grape frozen concentrate (couldn't find Welches but our local grocery brand appears to be red grapes since the ones on the can are red and they also have a can with purple grapes)
1 1/2 lb finely granulated sugar (I sprung for pure cane)
2 tsp acid blend
1 1/4 tsp yeast nutrient
1/8 oz powdered grape tannin
1 finely crushed and dissolved Campden tablet
5 pts water
1 pkt Gervin Wine Yeast Varietal B, or Lalvin 71B-1122 ( I used Lavlin 71b-1122)

If using frozen strawberries, thaw. In a primary, pour into a fine-meshed nylon straining bag and tie closed. Do not mash.

Measure the Dutched cocoa powder (see Dutched Cocoa Powder, my February 5th, 2012 WineBlog entry for background on Dutched cocoa powder) in dry ounces and add to one pint of warm water in a blender, pulsing until thoroughly mixed. Add tannin, acid blend and yeast nutrient and pulse again to ensure all are well mixed and then set aside.

Pour the sugar over the strawberries and pour the boiling water over the sugar. Stir very well to dissolve sugar. Add the thawed grape concentrate and stir again to integrate. Finally, add the cocoa water while stirring and continue stirring for a full minute. Cover the primary and set aside to cool to room temperature.

When cooled, add activated yeast in a starter solution and cover primary. Punch down the bag of strawberries several times a day, checking their condition after several days. When they start looking thoroughly ravaged by the yeast (about 4-5 days), remove the bag and hang to drip (do NOT squeeze) to extract readily available liquid (I hang the bag from a kitchen cabinet door handle with a bowl underneath for about 20-30 minutes). Add dripped liquid back to primary and cover primary. Discard the strawberry pulp.

When the vigorous fermentation slows, transfer to secondary and attach an airlock. Do not top up. Allow fermentation to finish and rack, adding the finely crushed and dissolved Campden tablet and then top up. Set aside in dark place for 60 days and rack again; top up with distilled water (this will not noticeably affect the flavor or alcohol level). Return to darkness another 60 days and rack again, topping up as before. Set aside in darkness 4-6 months to bulk age. Rack if required, bottle and age an additional 6 months before tasting. Yes, it is a protracted process, but well worth it. [Jack Keller's own recipe]

The resulting wine is full-bodied and delicious, the marriage of strawberry and chocolate perfect. To retain color, this wine is best bottled in dark glass and cellared in darkness or very low light. It should be consumed within a year -- two years at most.

There is a mention of boiling water in the recipe, but it isn't clear whether it is part of the 5 pts in the recipe. I decided to use 4 1/2 pts in addition to the one used for the chocolate blending.
My starting SG was 1.095 but I measured it after adding the chocolate which was rather thick so I don't know if that affected the reading. My taste buds tell me it was probably a solid 1.09+. I added everything on day one except the campden as the recipe stated.

chocStraw-11-15-13a.jpg

chocStraw-11-15-13b.jpg

chocStraw-11-15-13c.jpg

chocStraw-11-15-13d.jpg

chocStraw-11-17-13a.jpg
This looks like a good recipe to try thanks for posting,Have you made this before? How did it turn out?Thanks.

I have two versions of this recipe going on right now. 1 as the recipe states the other I used raspberries instead of strawberries. Both are clear, and look amazing. Smell of both is phenom! So far I like the taste of the rasp version much better but I have no intention on bottling or drinking for a very long time.

This looks like a good recipe to try thanks for posting,Have you made this before? How did it turn out?Thanks.

So far so good. It is clearing beautifully. It's not a fast wine, but it already has a load of chocolate flavor and the strawberry is coming through slowly. I recommend it. It's a beautiful color.

After a bit of playing with an extra pack of Kliesol/chitosan I had laying around (I split it between 5-1 gallon batches), this is finally perfectly clear.

I'm very much a fan of filtering my wine before bottling because it gives it such a gorgeous gloss, and there's no sediment in the bottle afterwards. However. I'm mildly afraid of doing that with this one. A set of filter pads can usually get me two 5 gallon batches - but I'm not sure I'd want to put anything through after this wine! I may have to accept the fact that 1 gal batches are not meant to be filtered *sigh*.

Working on the energy to bench test and get this puppy bottled. And the courage. It's bloody HOT! Lol. I've got to clean up the ice wine bottles I plan to put it in too. It think it'll look pretty sexy when it's all done :)

I started with an sg of 1.084, acid .60%, after it ferments to dry, stabilize and taste,there really wasn't much in the way of taste so I use about a tablespoon of McCormicks peppermint but I have found Watkins peppermint at Walmart, this is a natural extract so use this if you can find it. Start with a tsp of peppermint, taste and add more to your liking, then backsweeten, I used 24 candy canes (this will also bring out a nice pick color) and one bottle of corn syrup (corn syrup gives it a real nice mouth feel), final gravity was 1.032 BUT I added Ghirardelli 80% chococate, 2 pkgs, should be 7 oz. for 2 months., rack, let it clear and bottle.

Peppermint Patty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll list my tweaks as I get started. I still have about 5 lbs of candy canes in the freezer from last year.
Well,
I racked this over the weekend. It's been sitting since Dec. 2013
I left the Chocolate in 2 months longer than called for. I'll back sweeten in two weeks and then bottle. Then let it sit till the holidays.
Out of curiosity, I tasted the chocolate pieces still sitting in the bottom of the carboy.
No Chocolate taste at all!!!!! I didn't care for the wine taste either, but it's not sweetened yet. Time will tell!

Strawberry Chocolate update.

What have I done? I went to add some Sparkleoid today and decided to take an SG reading. When I poured it in the vial, it started bubbling like a beer head. I see tiny bubbles coming up in the gal jug. Could this be MLF?
I checked my notes and back in Jan, I topped it up with some DB. Well, I ended up throwing that a DB out in law Jan because it wouldn't finish and tasted like kaka. I am wondering if it has started fermenting back up.
As far as the taste, chocolate all the way with a hint of strawberry. If it ever settles down, I think it will be tasty.

Any thoughts folks?

chocStraw-3-31-14b.jpg

chocStraw-3-31-14a.jpg

Huh, I wonder if you're right and the leftover yeast from the KakaPee got going again.

Shake like hell and let it sit for a few days. What's you're current SG?
:?

Back