WineXpert Newbie Questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The two pictures I posted a while back of the White Zen. being stirred in the primary is it thats what I use and its great.

OK pictures are in WINE PICTURES>FIRST MUST>PAGE ONE.

Had the drill turning at about 1/4 power thats just a little over barely on.Edited by: RAMROD

I have had a mix stir since day one back in 2002....this is my second one (which was given to me cause the top broke off).The drawback to these is the construction of the shaft as it is plastic. The S/S rod at the top which goes into the chuck of your drill doesn't go down to far into the plastic shaft. Running the drill forward and backward which does the best at degassing tends to stress the shaft and it will break if you are not careful. Now I just put the plastic shaft into the drill chuck which works fine if you have a 1/2 inch drill but not a 3/8 inch.

Bottom line: Since the Fizz-X's shaft is S/S it will not have this problem and the stopper guide at the top will also help keep it centered. When my mix-stir breaks for good I will be buying a Fizz-X.

This is my mix stir in action in a 6 gallon carboy full of water:

Medium speed to get a good vortex (F3 Tornado) ...kinda cool!

2005-05-20_154603_Medium_Speed.JPG

High speed (F5 Tornado) and this will drive off any CO2 but be careful!

2005-05-20_154824_High_Speed.JPG

Edited by: masta

That is so cool! Okay, a question...

My next toy purchase is going to either be a Wine Whip or Fizz-X. The drill I have is a very simple Black and Decker battery powered model. Doubles as a powered screwdriver. Will these work with that or will I need to purchase a new drill?

Go for the Fizz-X it is much more efficient than the Wine Whip...not only for degassing but mixing up your must before pitching yeast. If your drill has variable speed it will work fine...you don't need to run full power unless you want have your wine in the floor. Variable speed gives you a lot more control.

Go slow at first and keep the blades near the bottom!

Way too cool guys. Got a link to buy one? or better yet, George, can you get one to sell?

I stock the Fizz-X, Mix-Stir and the Whip. Just order the one you like.

Latest posts

Back