WineXpert Newbie Questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yazoo22

Junior
Reaction score
Making my first kit. Excuse my ignorance but have several questions.

1) Wasn't sure whether I was supposed to use an air lock during the primary fermintation so I used the airlock with 6 gallon PVC pail (video I got with equipment didn't specifically say but they had an airlock on pail when they were explaining primary fermintation). Any problems with this?

2) When I got ready to stabilize and clarify, I followed the directions as indicated. However, during the stirring phase, I couldn't seem to get the wine to stop foaming. I was using a long spoon rather than something that attaches to a drill but I was stirring very vigorously and I'm a pretty healthy boy. Bet I stirred 10 minutes after adding the carifier (instructions said two minutes). I began to wonder if I was stirring too vigorously and creating the foam rather than the gas being released. Finally stopped, topped off, and put the airlock back on. Am curious to see if wine clears properly.Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

What type and brand was the kit?

It is quite common to get lots of foam when stiring after fermentation but how did you stir it with a spoon in a carboy? I have always used the drill mounted stirer and it works very well.

Depending on the style of the wine you should see the fines settling pretty quickly after stirring.

The airlock on the primary bucket is fine, I actually use it and take the lid off twice a day and stir, but that's not neccessary. With the airlock on, it is easier to judge when fermentation is slowing down, or God forbid, stuck.

Using the small square end of the spoon is fine for stirring up the carboy, that is what it is designed for, but it is alot of work to degass with. Try stirring for several minutes, stop for the same amount of time, stir like crazy again, over and over. After degassing, be sure to top up well.

The primary purpose of putting the airlock in the lid of the primary fermenter is too keep insects out. Your wine will be generating enough CO2 to keep the oxygen away.

Country is right. Stir vigorously for 2 minutes and stop. Wait 10 to 15 minutes and stir again. Each time you stir, you should notice a decrease inthe foam. Alot of the kits today have you stir for 3 days in a row to get rid of the gas. That is why I push a stirrer for your drill. It really makes stirring so much easier.

Thanks for the info. Last questions (for now). Should I take the airlock off carboy and stir again today or leave well enough alone?

It wouldn't hurt and you should notice a big difference in the amount of foam. If it is still foamy, I would stir it again tomorrow.

George - Thanks so much for your help. I stirred "vigorously" again tonight (starting to get blisters on my hands). Can't believe the amount of foam I still have. Can't believe the directions with the kit saystir"two minutes". Will stir again tomorrow night. I'm assuming the "stabilizer" and "clarifier" chemicals will continue to work with the additional stirring. Any additional suggestions will be appreciated. Again, thanks for your help. Hope it turns out O.K.

No problem. Just keep in mind that every grape is different. Some ferment fast and some slow. Some generate alot of CO2, some not too much. My mentor in making wine told me "patience is the key" and he was right. Let your wine do its thing and 99 times out of 100 (or more) you will be pleased with your results.

Which kit did you kit?

George - It was the Vintner's Reserve Chardonnay. Have tried to follow the directions to the letter. Thanks for your help.

Okay,

This foam thing seems to be a newbie epidemic. I was all ready to bottle my Pinot Noir and decided to taste it first. It seemed to be little bubbly, so, I decided to give it a stir to make sure I got it perfectly still. NEVER STOPPED FOAMING. It is not the temperature, we keep it warm here in Texas to save energy. It's not my impatience (I know what some of you are thinking). It's been in the settling stage for more than 2 weeks.

I have a theory...

The whip de-gasser is only about 12-14 inches long. At best, it only pounds the upper 3rd of the carboy. The resulting vortex will pick up what's on the bottom and thus the batch gets stirred. As I watch for rising bubbles, they seem to form at the top of the carboy and rise to make foam. At a good speed, I can get foam every time. It seems to me that the whip is stirring the surface so much that air is being introduced into the wine. The Fizz-x does not do this because it is stirring from the bottom where there is no air.

Since my carboy is empty at the moment, I'm going to try to stir a carboy of water tonightto see if I can get bubbles to rise.

If I am right, then we may be doing more bad than good by stiring too much oxygen into the finished wine. Also, if I am right, George has sold another Fizz-x.

I believe HollowOakWine's theory on the length of the wine whip is correct. We have had a few members who have trouble with lots of foam when using the fizz-x because they were pulling up up near the top of the carboy when stirring causing the same effect.

Okay, this is what I did. I filled the carboy up and thenremoved 2 cups of liquid (just like the instructions tell you before stirring). I used my variable speed drill. The liquid is just water with a dash of bleech (might as well sanitize while we are experimenting).

2005-05-10_060520_whip1.jpg

On high, this is what I got.

2005-05-10_060742_whip2.jpg

I got bubbles at just about every speed. It seems that the vortex opens air pockets several inches below the surface. Then the whip pounds these air pockets into bubbles, creating foam in the wine. I wish I had a fizz-x to do the same thing with. Perhaps someone else could try this?

Really interesting experiment and good photos Hollow Oak. Fizz-x is the way to go. Definitely worth the modest price.

I just wanted to tell you all that I purchased the Mix-Stir from George over the weekend. The results were great!

I stirred twice with a 15 minute rest in between. One drawback, part of that 15 minutes was spent watching my wine bubble over! Aparently, I did not take the manufacture's advice to NOT reverse the drill while stiring. After the purple foam volcano settled down, the second stir was easy.

I don't really want to throw my Whip away, though. We've been through a lot together (two whole batches). I'm thinking it would make a good back scratcher or perhaps a piece to a Captain Hook costume this next Halloween.

Can you post a pic of the Mix-Stir? I want to see how it compares to the Fizz-X. Thanks.

I found this picture on the internet...

2005-05-20_060641_mix.jpg

If you want to see the Mix-Stir in action (as I did with the whip), you'll have to wait until the Petite Sirah is out of the carboy (at least one more week).

What I like about it is that it is 24 incheslong. I can stir the bottom of my carboy with it sitting on the floor. And no stooping!
smiley32.gif

What I didn't like is that it brought up a torent of foam without warning. It is dangerously effective in removing CO2.

I can post some pics tonight along with some more info on the mix-stir.

Latest posts

Back