Newbie overthinking & needs advice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhanger

Junior
Reaction score
I picked up 4 lugs of Lodi Cabernet Sauvignon grapes today and hauled them two hours back to my house. My pH is 3.5, TA is about 4, SG is 1.112 and Brix is 25.8 adjusted for temperature. My Free SO2 test (Accuvin) is 0. Confused about what to add to the must...help. Thanks, james

Oh, and I pitched 1/4 tsp Kmeta into the bin after destemming - before making the journey home.

I don't think I'd add anything. Well, maybe yeast in 24 hours. :D

TA seems low, but I'm not sure I'd mess with it until fermentation is complete.

I redid my Free SO2 test and its actually 4 ppm. Should I add 1/4 teaspoon and bring it up to 50 ppm? If I do that, how long should I wait before adding pectic enzyme and yeast nutrient?

Also, i planned on doing MLF, so should I add Tartaric or acid blend now, or wait?

For two lugs, you have added enough k-meta. I would not add any more.

Your acid is low. I would recomend that you add 5 tsp of tarteric acid to your must. This will bring you up to around .55 g/l. You can then retest/readjust the acid when fermentation is complete. I would also recomend that you add some fermax or yeast neutriant.

I take a yeast starter with me when I do the drive and pitch it in before I start home. I would not add anything until done with primary and you have pressed .

Hi Jhanger,
I got a batch of Livermore Cabernet Sauvignon grapes this weekend with Brix 27 deg, TA 0.4% and pH 4.0. It is my first attempt at fermenting, I am not an expert!

I found the taste of the juice not rounded at 0.4% TA so I upped it to 0.6% TA and it is delicious now, but my pH is high so I could lower pH a lot without problem. Your pH is closer to ideal. MLF will raise the final pH so it seems you have room to increase the TA somewhat with tartaric acid.

Back