New Vadai barrel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quick update. Barrel number three joined numbers one and two yesterday. Racked the already fermenting Chardonnay Del Venento. As I sit here typing I can hear it fizzing across the room.

2014-08-24 19 22 06.jpg

Those look amazing!! I have one Vadai barrel, but I was looking for a different oak profile so I went this time with a 5 gallon/20 liter French oak barrel. Man o man I wish I liked Hungarian oak better!!! The French barrel is literally 5 gallons. Where as the Vadai is let's say more like 5.3+ much stouter and thicker staves. Live and learn. Wish you luck and long life on those long awaited barrels!!

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making
But how do you compare the taste? I am planning my number four being French oak.

Just tossed my WE LE Cab/Syr into it a week ago. Will plan on leaving it in for 4 weeks. Then switch. I am a little disappointed at the medium toast, would prefer a medium+ but I will update when I give it a taste. I felt the Vadai was more of a full dark smokey oak flavor that seemed to overpower my wines early on, though pull back nicely after a year.

Update::: so I tasted my LE cab:Syrah and the oak is barely there!!! It has been almost 4 weeks in the new French barrel and barely a depth of oak. By this time my nero D'avola was timber juice in my Vadai barrel even after a white ferment. I can tell you that the French barrel, though not imparting ridiculous amounts of oak early, has really really smoothed out a 3 month old high end kit!! I will be tasting again next week but I anticipate up to 8 weeks in this barrel. Maybe need to add oak to kits while fining as the instructions say, if you use a new 20 liter French oak barrel.

Latest posts

Back