New grow from previous year question.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoreBloodWine

Junior
Reaction score
Not sure how the image will look as I'm doing this from my phone.

Anyway, I know that the following years growth is supposed to always grow from the previous. Well, if I cut the latterals seen here, will I still get new growth from those same buds next year or is that it for those buds if I cut the latterals from this year ?

Hope that made sense, ty.

ForumRunner_20130831_052146.jpg

is this first year growth? what type grapes?. if first year growth normally cut back two bud. But I have cut back to two buds per cordon, without causing problem. Next spring monitor your growth and prune grapes to remove suckers and other buds sprouts and form the cordons to the trellis.

First yr growth, seedless reliance... the growth hasn't gotten to where I wznt it yet to lay down ontop of the arbor after I permanently wire it.

The latt on the end though won't be very big end of season so I wana cut it in jan when its still cold but am curious since next yr what u see now will be previous yrs gowth if that same bud on the end will grow a new latt for me to continue on down where I want it.

So like I originally asked, even if I cut that / all seen latts. Will those buds still produce next yr since the green growth will be previous season which as I understand grows the following seasons growth so on n so forth.

As I understand it each bud only has three growth point and is the green latt from this yr comin from the main point meaning growth for next yr on that bud would say be from a backup node.

The buds growing will continue the main shoot in growth and can be used to build the structure of the vine. Those shoots next year will possibly try to bear fruit, but since it is only the second year, they should mostly be removed.

Sounds good, so ill snip en all tomorrow to save energy n next season ill use the bud on the end to continue grown on down to its center point where I can then begin to lay it over the top of the arbor.

Still thinking in the wiring thing, since each plant will go half way accross each plant will have a 10 wide by 5 tall spot to grow in ontop of the arbor.

I just wana wire up where the canes will be for support. Given the way I'm growing these ontop of the arbor I can probably spur prune I'm thinking. This way I can wrap the main line around the wire. Ill dummy up a new pic later and post it for thoughts.

Thx for the reply.

Latest posts

Back