Need help - Stuck Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MN-winer

Reaction score
I never thought I'd need advice but here I go.

I started some home made port with a mixture of stuff I had around. Here are the starting ingreds.
2 quarts of home made Jam (blueberry and Strawberry)
2 cans welches frozen concent
1 gallon of water
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 cup sugar

Initial Sg was high but its Port - 1.13

Added all ingreds above to bucket except pectic enz. - was about 2 gallons after all is added. I added 2 campden tabs, waited 24 hours, then added Pectic enzyme. Waited another 12 hours and added pack of Red Star - Pasteur.
Started some bubbling after 24 hours, then 1 day later stopped. No activity at all. I did not check the SG, but it doesn't look like any ferment I've seen. I will check SG tonight and am planning a trip to Northern Brewer tomorrow to pick up something to get it started. Last night I added yeast energizer and nutrient and put a brewbelt on. Temp was 70. Still nothing.

Any ideas? Is the sugar content too high?

My WE port kit was the same SG.

SG levels won't inhibit yeast growth at the onset. Eventually, the ABV of the wine could kill off the yeast. I'm not sure of the alcohol tolerance of this particular strain, but assume it would work well into the 14 to 15% ABV levels.

What you don't state is your starting pH - - if too acidic or too basic, that could prevent the yeast from growing.

Also - 2 campden tablets for 2 gallons of wine seems way too much - kmeta levels over 50 ppm will kill the yeast cells as well.

Finally, I am assuming you just opened the pack of yeast, sprinkled on top and left to ferment? In stressful conditions, yeast will not survive if not properly hydrated and acclimated to the conditions of the must. Speak with your friends over at Northern Brewer about proper methods of yeast rehydration and yeast nutrients. You can also check out info on Jack Keller's wineblog site.

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/yeast.asp

Thanks - I didn't test acid but most recipes call for acid blend to be added. I assumed I was OK with welches, but I'll talk to Northern. I might have to do a starter and add some acid.

I wanted to post a follow up. Went to Northern and they confirmed what Naperwineguy said - too much campden. They suggested aerating vigorously and changing to a champagne yeast and doing a starter. I followed Jack's instructions and added the starter late last night. Its bubbling very nice now.

Thanks all.

I just started an Elderberry Port... first one! I started at 1.095 and then when it would get down around 1.030, I'd give it some more sugar. I didn't measure it, just stirred it in. I did that 3 times. I'm sure I took it up near 16-18%. When it slowed down, I stopped feeding and now am waiting for it to finish.

Debbie

Back