Need advice from you good ole southeners

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before we would go camping as kids we would make cornbread (Our parents would) and load it up with cheese, corn, peppers, you name it, little chunks of ham even. It was an awesome portable lunch for hiking.

No sugar in that though.

Well John T you let me down on New York restaurant suggestions in another thread, however I'll help you out here. You can't go wrong with mashed potatoes, fried okra, green beans (also called snap beans down here), creamed corn, and corn bread. A tip for you: I didn't read all posts but frying the chicken in cast iron will make a world of difference. Just kidding about NYC. We had great food and a nice trip.

Im from florida and we eat fried chicken with biscuits. Real home made biscuits. black eyed peas with mayo. Mac and cheese not out the box. But I got to tell u. If u serve fried chicken around here it dont even matter on the side. And chicken thighs is my favorite

Hahahaha, I am loving this "true Southern" talk from GaDawg. The sweetest cornbread I have ever had - and man was it good - was in Virginia (uhhh, Capital of the Confederacy? Yep, THAT Virginia.)

But then I moved from VA to southern TN and everyone here always asks me "Whad y'all do up North?"

(BTW, that's not a TRUE Southern way of spelling y'all, but it is the grammatically correct way to do it. The Southern way is ya'll.)

Now, collard greens - That is Southern. Mmm...

Just goes to show that there are as many variations in the South as there are different "Southern accents." But in general, old-time Southern cooking is basic and simple. Making it taste awesome with simple ingredients is the challenge, as any great Southern cook knows.

I also loved the green bean casserole comment - that dish is actually an invention of Kraft Foods Test Kitchens.

Y'all come see us!

Last edited:
Hahahaha, I am loving this "true Southern" talk from GaDawg. The sweetest cornbread I have ever had - and man was it good - was in Virginia (uhhh, Capital of the Confederacy? Yep, THAT Virginia.)

But then I moved from VA to southern TN and everyone here always asks me "Whad y'all do up North?"

(BTW, that's not a TRUE Southern way of spelling y'all, but it is the grammatically correct way to do it. The Southern way is ya'll.)

Now, collard greens - That is Southern. Mmm...

Just goes to show that there are as many variations in the South as there are different "Southern accents." But in general, old-time Southern cooking is basic and simple. Making it taste awesome with simple ingredients is the challenge, as any great Southern cook knows.

I also loved the green bean casserole comment - that dish is actually an invention of Kraft Foods Test Kitchens.

Y'all come see us!

The one thing that I always wondered is just why you southern folks are hard of hearing...

Ya'll com back now ya hear?

The one thing that I always wondered is just why you southern folks are hard of hearing...

Ya'll com back now ya hear?

I don't think that is a common or traditional Southern utterance, but rather is a country music/Grand Ole Opry saying and was also used commercially in the 40s or 50s.

Here are three true Southern salutations at the end of a visit:

Ya'll come see us!

Ya'll come back!

Ya'll come with us!
(Don't take this literally! They are saying they enjoyed the time spent with you. They don't want you tagging along.)

As long as we're on it, my favorite Southern saying and it's meanings are below:

Well bless your heart! (I completely understand and sympathize.)

Well bless your heart! (You are a complete and total fool and/or idiot.)

Well bless your heart! (You have talked far too long. Shut up.)

With this phrase, it is necessary to read the speaker's face to decipher the intent. Many a Yankee has been insulted to his or her face in a group of Southerners by a well-placed, "Well bless your heart!" Failing to see how the speaker exchanged a raptor-like look with his or her fellow Southerners when saying it, the Yankee takes it as a compliment. Ummm, not quite!

BTW, a Yankee is generally anyone who is not from the Confederate States of America by birth. It is generally not possible to live in the South long enough to become a Southerner. And there are two kinds of Yankees here - Yankees and damned Yankees. Yankees come to visit; damned Yankees stay.

:)

Not bad. One thing, though. "Ya'll" is singular. For the plural form, it's "all ya'll".

Well bless your heart! (You are a complete and total fool and/or idiot.) - My Family

Well bless your heart! (I completely understand and sympathize.) - My wife's family.

Things can get tricky.

Latest posts

Back