My works in progress

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redderthebetter

Reaction score
Here are my three fruit wines in work. The first is a dried cranberry from SAMs Club. It was a bit high in starting SG and slow to ferment.

2006-03-25_175549_100_0356.JPG

I added a shot of water and pureed. Note to self. When following a recipe, add the sugar gradually. I put the recipe amount of suger in boiled water and wound up with too much. This was the reason I had such a high starting SG and wound up adding water and some more cranberries to keep the fruit content up.

2006-03-25_175846_100_0430.JPG

Here is the cranberry and a mixed berry I found in the frozen section. Ity was Blue, Raz, and black berry. I followed a blackberry recipe and added the sugar in gradually till I got the SG just right. I also made a starter for this one. It went from 1.085 to 1.00 in a littl over three days. I was surprised at how fast it fermented. The crasnberry was topped off with the extra triberry and then I added Pot So and put it up. It looks like the Tri is clearing up nicely. The cranberry is pretty cloudy. I will rack in a few weeks and again in MAY, if it is still cloudy I will take that as my cue to go buy a minijet.

2006-03-25_180518_100_0428.JPG

This last one is a blueberry from frozen fruit. I thawed, pureed, gave it a pectic enzyme treatment and made a starter. After about 24 hours, I added the acid blend, and pitched the yeast starting @ 1.09.

After 48 hours it is going nicely. I have been using the top of my fridge both to keep it away from the kids, and to catch warmth from the back of the fridge.

I discovered a great way to tell me if the batch is fermenting. My wife will call me and tell me I'm stinking up the house again. When shestops b*****ing I'll know it is time to rack.

After the blueberry is done I have some Backberries in the freezer for the next batch.

I plan on whipping up an Island mist and another kit during the summer. My first wine, a merlot is half gone. I have to exercise some self control or I will be out before summer. I love this hobby. I was at Lowes today eyeballing the berry bushes. I am definitly planting a few this spring.

On the way home I bought a couple of bottles of blackberry wine and rasberry. We will call it research and bottle replenishment.

2006-03-25_182430_100_0380.JPG

I thought I would include a shot of our fourth kid. This last picture is a rare shot. I thought when I adopted this Greyhound I was getting a running partner and playmate for my kids. As you can see, he is upright, he generally sleeps or lays for at least 22 hour a day. I have never seen a lazier creature. Except for maybe a polar bear during winter hibernation. We love Jake dearly though.

See you on the boards.
smiley1.gif

Greyhounds are lazy dogs. We have looked into adopting one on several occassions. Now we just have Jesse- the floor cleaning wieneer dog!! Your wines look beautiful!!

2006-03-27_122116_jesse1.JPG

Not as lazy as some cats though
smiley36.gif
This is my wife's "Bear Cat"

2006-03-27_161152_fat_cat_bear.jpg

We have 2 dogs, Buddy, which isn't allowed in the house right now due to the wine/computer incident......
smiley19.gif

Then we have "Sugar", She usually just stays in my wine room.........

Don't know why???????

2006-03-27_165128_sugar_with_tongue_out.jpg

DJCOOP

That is amazing. What are you doing with my dog? Same collar, same tag,
save converse shoes in the background, same tile on the floor.

Peter-

Didn't you know, we've been married all these years!! Ha Gotta have a maroon collar - Gig Em Aggies!!!! That's the only way my hubby would warm up to poor Jesse!

Wado - Now THAT"S a cat!!

Jobe- I think you ought to give Buddy another chance. He was just driven mad from the juice o' the vine!! We've all been there
smiley2.gif

Back