My First Beer! Gluten Free Chocolate Vanilla Ale

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just be careful with the sorghum extract. It will leave a sour green apple aftertaste for some reason. The whole foods in my area carry a brown rice syrup I've been thinking of trying out. You can also add amylase enzyme to quinoa or other glitter free products as needed.

Thanks Aaron! I've added them to my 'To Brew' list.

Brewski: I know about the sorghum twang. Ugh. I swear, Bards is the worst GF beer on the market! How could they have taken La Messagere off the shelves?!? Lol, the chocolate vanilla ale seems to be strong enough in taste so far that the twang doesn't currently pull through. That's what I was hoping for!

Well, I was really just hoping for a drinkable beer. Now I just need to get it to carbonate much stronger and I'll be happy!

Thanks Aaron! I've added them to my 'To Brew' list.

Brewski: I know about the sorghum twang. Ugh. I swear, Bards is the worst GF beer on the market! How could they have taken La Messagere off the shelves?!? Lol, the chocolate vanilla ale seems to be strong enough in taste so far that the twang doesn't currently pull through. That's what I was hoping for!

Well, I was really just hoping for a drinkable beer. Now I just need to get it to carbonate much stronger and I'll be happy!

Have you tried the Omission line from Widmer Brothers? They use the clarity Fern product white labs recently went into contact to package for retail (my LHBS carries it) so it is theoretically less than 5ppm gluten but made with barley. The international standards for gluten free is less than 20ppm, but a lot of my friends are sensitive below this threshold. Anyway, I found the Omission pale ale to be a nice beer. Picked up a single of the lager today and recently saw a sixer of an IPA.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Wine Making mobile app

Huh, I don't this we have that one up here... Also, I'm one of those poor saps who really can't have ANY gluten. Makes me sick as a dog and worse :(

I'll keep my eyes peeled for it and would certainly give it a try to see how it goes though. Appreciate the recommendation!

Hey Aaron! Thanks for remembering!

From my tasting this week (bottle 3 of 5):
Cloudy dark amber/light brown colour. No head at all, nor lacing. Persistent, light carbonation that does last through the end of the glass. Nose is vanilla and roasty. Taste is lightly malty, slightly sweet, with a vanilla finish. I don't taste the chocolate at all, but I'm assuming that's where the malty type flavour is coming from. (?)

I am extremely pleased with this as my first ever GF Brew. Other than the carbonation not being what I would like - and I think I will need a kegging system for that - it's by far better than the stuff that is currently available. The Sorghum twang is minimized by the heavy flavouring from oats, chocolate and vanilla. Almost unnoticeable! No, it wouldn't compare to a 'real' beer; but gluten free, just for me? Heck yeah!

I will definitely try this again, and when I have a free day, will get another recipe or two started. I am watching for ingredients and picking up a bit here and a bit there as the budget allows :)

:b

Hey Aaron! Thanks for remembering!

From my tasting this week (bottle 3 of 5):
Cloudy dark amber/light brown colour. No head at all, nor lacing. Persistent, light carbonation that does last through the end of the glass. Nose is vanilla and roasty. Taste is lightly malty, slightly sweet, with a vanilla finish. I don't taste the chocolate at all, but I'm assuming that's where the malty type flavour is coming from. (?)

I am extremely pleased with this as my first ever GF Brew. Other than the carbonation not being what I would like - and I think I will need a kegging system for that - it's by far better than the stuff that is currently available. The Sorghum twang is minimized by the heavy flavouring from oats, chocolate and vanilla. Almost unnoticeable! No, it wouldn't compare to a 'real' beer; but gluten free, just for me? Heck yeah!

I will definitely try this again, and when I have a free day, will get another recipe or two started. I am watching for ingredients and picking up a bit here and a bit there as the budget allows :)

:b

As far as the lacing goes, adding chocolate will definitely kill head retention on any beer. On this beer you don't really have much in the way of head building agents. I wouldn't expect any head and would be happy with good carbonation at baseline. On that note, these small batches like this are very hard to carbonate effectively. For non GF brews I would just use carbonation tabs, but they are malt extract so not an option here. I'm not sure how well a kegging setup will do on 5 bottles of beer either. Just play around with your bottle carb levels. I like to add quinoa to my GF brews. I toast it to get a nutty character, but you can roast to other levels too much like a roasted barley or black patent malt if you are careful. I then add amylase enzyme to it with a very high mash temp (158ish) to develop at least a little body to the beer. I would probably replace some of the simple sugars with another GF grain like the quinoa.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Wine Making mobile app

Back