My First Ancient Orange

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last things I did was rack off the fruit leaving minimal sediment in the new carboy, added 1 crushed campden tablet, and top up with some bottled water. I tasted a few drops and thought it was pretty good. Just don't know if I'm going to like the cloves. I am waiting to make another batch until I find out if I'm going to like that much clove in it.

gaudet, try making a gallon batch without clove. Or maybe just one clove.

Affirmative!!!
That's my intent eventually....

Will probably do a batch with lime, and a batch with some other citrus, maybe even lemon.

Limon Mead...... mmmm ya never know

Bottling this JAO this am. I'm doing 4 375's and 3 750's. I will post pics later on.

As promised............. Not really good at getting the greatest shots. This mead is very good. I can stand the cloves, but next time I make this one I will omit them to try it out.

JAOExtraGlass.jpg
JAOExtra.jpg

Great picture. I love the way meade looks in the glass, although mine never stays in the glass very long!
smiley2.gif

gaudet said:
As promised............. Not really good at getting the greatest shots. This mead is very good. I can stand the cloves, but next time I make this one I will omit them to try it out.

JAOExtraGlass.jpg
JAOExtra.jpg
Outstanding. I have a question. ¿Is this a thick drink? I guess I keep picturing the honey and wondering how it gets thin enough to drink?

gaudet said:
Not thick but its full bodied.

I am so NEW to this that I really dont understand that term yet. Would you mind being descriptive please¿
smiley25.gif

I tend to think of drinking water versus any wine. A full bodied wine would be thicker more viscous than water but not so thick as a syrup. To me a thin bodied wine is close to drinking flavored water. Not sure how the complexities(flavors/textures/aromas) work into the body as well, but I'm sure they do. I am not a wine snob by any means, so I am learning as I go as well.

gaudet said:
I tend to think of drinking water versus any wine. A full bodied wine would be thicker more viscous than water but not so thick as a syrup. To me a thin bodied wine is close to drinking flavored water. Not sure how the complexities(flavors/textures/aromas) work into the body as well, but I'm sure they do. I am not a wine snob by any means, so I am learning as I go as well.

That was a great explanation. Thank You very much for that. I know a little more today
smiley20.gif

Wade, how do you make it a little dry. I'm really not in to sweet sweet wines. Vic

Vic,

For JAO, its intent is to be sweet, as its an intended early drinker. You could use less honey and chance that it will ferment to dry. Or you could just make it like normal mead taking initial sg and monitoring the ferment more carefully. Also using a yeast with a known alcohol tolerance to finish it dry.

Back