Muscadines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 2 Nobel vines that I set out this spring. How many pounds do you usually get from your Nobels? I was thinking about setting out 2 more along with 2 more Scuppernong.

I did have 1 bunch of about 5 on one of my Nobel vines. Can't wait til they start really bearing..... :dg

LOL well they're not mine but I can say once fully grown and if they do really good, you can probly expect to get 20 or 30 pounds from a single vine least thats how these have done but these are at least 4 years old and tobe honest in just about perfect placement from what I've read

What are the thoughts on oaking muscadine? I racked 20 gallons of Noble on Sunday and I thought about oaking 3 gallons of it but chickened out at the last minute. So, what's everyone say. Oak the 3 gallon or not. If I do I was planning on Medium French toast cubes and maybe finish this batch dry or semi-dry.

I know some of the local wineries oak the muscadines abit but not long becuase of the way they taste already they do have that very different taste, I'd say it's your wine if you wanna oak it oak it. I'm still trying to figure how you got that finish on the big reds lol

I know some of the local wineries oak the muscadines abit but not long becuase of the way they taste already they do have that very different taste, I'd say it's your wine if you wanna oak it oak it. I'm still trying to figure how you got that finish on the big reds lol

Which finish would that be?

Now I blended a bottle of muscadine with a gallon of merlot which was well oaked. It has a great taste. FYI

that finish on that bottle you gave me back in the summer when you came down the intial taste was normal muscadine but right after you swallow there is a lingering taste it was kinda like a sweet but not taste that felt like when you swallow jello. so to speak
it's like it coated your tongue and throat but I agree really no oak ask julie she'll tell you I'm no big oak fan

Last edited:
I would vote no on the oak. I would think you would be taking away from that distintive taste that is unique to muscadines. Now blackberry screams for oak.

And yes Eddie does not like oak anymore than he likes working in the rain. :)

I guess the No's have it. I know what you're taking about Eddie. I can't say for sure. I know the Noble that had that taste, was enough noble to make 10 gallons that I turned into 6 then I blended a gallon of that with 4 gallons of the Red to get make my blend.

I think I have 3 bottles of last year's left. It was that good.

oh muscadines are good as wine or wine in pill form specially the nobles oh there is nothing better than the nobles when they've got so ripe they start to do the golf ball dimple thing specially if they've done went thru 2 or 3 good frost talk about yummy.........

I can only imagine how sweet they would be after a frost. I'm looking forward to this getting finishing up in a few months so we can sample. I think this batch should last longer than a year. I know the Bronze tastes pretty darn good at last racking. It's clearing nicely. I'll stabilize middle of decemeber and then back sweeten a tad.

Latest posts

Back