Muscadine must PH?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you add any water, it is usually much lower than that initially and water is added to raise the pH. Muscadine is rather highly acidic.

That is kinda high, I would get it down to around 3.5

I added a little water. The starting PH was 2.0 now it is looking like 4.0, what do I do to lower it a bit? Might I add some acid blend?

Last edited:
I would add some acid blend to get it back to around 3.5

The instructions say 1 teaspoon will change 1 gallon by. 15. So you have to do the math. Six teaspoons will get you down to 3.85, twelve will get you down to 3.70. I would guess you need about 18 teaspoons, BUT, I would test it in intervals to make sure you don't go too low.

I added a little water. The starting PH was 2.0 now it is looking like 4.0, what do I do to lower it a bit? Might I add some acid blend?

Now it looks like it is 3.0, so what do you think?

I think I would stop doing anything to adjust pH! It doesn't appear to me that you have a way of accurately measuring pH. You said your starting pH was 2.0, and you added enough water to raise it to 4.0. However, a solution with a pH of 2.0 is 100 times more acidic than one of 4.0. I assume that you did not add 100 parts of water! I think you should just roll with whatever you have or else make darn sure your pH meter is accurate and calibrated.

thanks

I think I would stop doing anything to adjust pH! It doesn't appear to me that you have a way of accurately measuring pH. You said your starting pH was 2.0, and you added enough water to raise it to 4.0. However, a solution with a pH of 2.0 is 100 times more acidic than one of 4.0. I assume that you did not add 100 parts of water! I think you should just roll with whatever you have or else make darn sure your pH meter is accurate and calibrated.

After the 2.0 reading I added about a gallon of bottled spring water. Started at 5 gallons and stopped at the 6 mark.

Like sour grapes said, don't try to adjust anymore. It should be fine, add your yeast and let it ferment. In the meantime if you can get a ph meter do that and then if it needs to be adjusted you can do that after fermentation.

Latest posts

Back