Mosti Mondiale Mosti Mondiale

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geocorn

Vendor
Reaction score
I have been receiving more and more requests for sterile musts. I have only made a Bolero and was not pleased with it; however, I have heard good things about the Mosti Mondiale brand. As a result, I would appreciate any feedback that you might have regarding:

A. Using sterile must (23 liters of juice), as opposed to a wine kit,
B. Specific comments regarding Mosti Mondiale, and
C. If the price was the same for the sterile must as the kit, would the additional shipping cost of $5-10 be a factor in whether or not to try one of these kits?

For those of you that would like to look at the offerings from Mosti Mondale, here is the link:

http://www.mostimondiale.com/english/index_ce.asp?lang=Français&langcode=ce

By the way, they have a Lambrusco kit!

I have seen them in several places and would be interested in trying one of them...

And don't forget, with some of them you are basically getting a free primary with it...

I would try it, but would probably pick one up on another trip to Dallas rather than pay the shipping.

I can get the MM kits here, and I have tried/tasted a few. I have not fermented any of them on my own, but I do have to say, until I tasted the MM La Bodega port, the WE Port kit was my favorite. The La Bodega port was better, if you can imagine that, and not just slightly better. I've also tried the Meglioli limited editions. I'd say they'd compare directly to the estate series. The sterile musts are okay, and would compare to be in between the selection and the selection estate series.

EDIT: I just read what I posted, and it is somewhat confusing. I can get them, but have not purchased any. I've only tried the ones that friends have made. That said, I plan on purchasing the port once I see the need to make more port.Edited by: Dean

Hi All, I have made the Mosti Mondiale a few times with good results. I made the Montipulciano twice and the Lambrusco once. I entered the Monti in the 2002 Winemaker Mag competition and won a silver. Overall I think these are a good way for someone to try a whole juice for the first time. No water is added, and the pail can be used as a fermenter. They are complete with all the finings and if called for Oak is included. The Reds do however requir a bit of ageing, and as usual you must follow the directions to the letter. I would give it a try.
<DIV SuperAdBlocker_DIV_Elements="0" SuperAdBlocker_OnMove_Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker__Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker_DIV_FirstLook="0">Bill

Bring it!
smiley17.gif
I'm due for corks too.

I am very pleased with TGV Montepulciano and just bottled the DT Lambrusco. I wanna try a must kit.

Based on the feedback, I will probably have the first shipment in by December. Just have to decide which kits to stock, besides the Lambrusco's and Port.

Is there anywhere that I can find a good comparison or explanation that deciphers the differences amongst the different types of kits - not just the brands or flavors, but differences based on the composition and concentration?

George, I'll be driving from OKC to Austin on December 10 and back on Dec 16. Any chance you'll have the kits in by then?

Perfect timing for this question Country Vines as I have a very timely qoute that will help explainthisfrom Tim Vandergrift who is the Technical Services Manager, Winexpert Ltd.

"First, kits will always have some concentrate in them. This is because concentrate isn't just used to reduce size (and thus shipping and associated costs) it is also used as a preservative.

Compared to fresh grape juice, concentrate has a much lower, and very heavily buffered pH. Lower pH means lower growth rates of spoilage organisms. Buffered means that even when you rehydrate concentrate, the pH stays low until the yeast cracks the sugars away from acids and de-bonds come ions.

Also, concentrate has high sugar levels, which acts as a preservative. This seems counter-intuitive, but sugar in high concentrations is lethal to bacteria--ever wonder why the sugar in the sugar bowl never spoils? It's because when bacteria touch it, they die from osmotic pressure differential.

Next, there are concentrates, and there are concentrates. You can run all five of your concentrator elements and the 21 brix grape juice you pour in one end will come out 78 brix at the other (brix means 'percentage of solid material by weight, so higher brix means more solids dissolved in the liquid, mostly sugar), or you can turn off two of them and have it come out at 52 brix, with more flavour, aroma and TDS--all of which contribute to the character of the finished wine.

Now, if you are making a 7.5 litre kit, you can't use 52 brix concentrate--the kit would have to be at least 10 litres for that to work well, if you are to add enough fresh juice to make an appreciable difference. Why? Well, because it is terrifically difficult to package kits below 33 brix. In order to stay shelf-stable for more than a few months, the kits need to be high enough in sugar, and low enough in pH to prevent spoilage.

Now, as for the juice portion, why does a bottle of Stag's Leap Merlot cost $40 USD (or about $65 CAD where I live) and a bottle of Chilean or Aussie Merlot go for five bucks in Costco, and why does Two-Buck Chuck Merlot go for three bucks in Trader Joe's? Because one of those growing regions is associated with much higher quality wines, perhaps partly from prestige, but mainly due to the fact that they restrict yields and have much higher quality raw materials. This cost is passed on to the people who buy the grapes, and consequently the finished product, kit or commercial wine, is in a much higher price bracket.

Bottom line: there is a diret and linear relationship between the quality of the kit you get and the price you pay.

The good news, however, is that the difference is something like three dollars a bottle between the cheapest kit you can get, and the most expensive. Compare that between the $37 a bottle between Chuck and Stag's leap, and it looks like a bargain!"

George, I'd like to know a little bit more about pricing.
I'm not sure $5 on the shipping would make that much of a difference.

In March as soon as my CD matures, the first thing I'm going to do is buy the Amarone kit.

I am trying to get the MM kits in by the first of December, but I am having difficulty getting the info I need to order and post the kits.

Until I make a kit, I will not be able to offer first hand comments. As a result, I would expect some fairly decent pricing to get wine makers to try the kits and give me feedback.

We just bottled the Amarone and I do believe it may be the best kit I have made. Tremendous flavor and a ton of body. Everybody at the bottling party raved about it!

That is what I hear from everyone who has tried the Amarone and thast is why I want to try it badly.

OK, so I'm coming by in a couple of weeks - forget the kit, just sell me the Amarone you've already bottled
smiley4.gif

Masta - thank you so much for the information. I've been doing a lot of research on the subject - but, of course, every merchant wants to sell you their product. This information reduced it all to fact.

I'm really thrilled George is going to stock these kits - yippee!!
smiley32.gif
Edited by: Country Vines

I will be placing my first order this weekend and I hope to have the kits in stock by December 18th. As soon as I finalize which kits I will order, I will post them on the web site with the expected arrival date.

Thank you.
Looking forward to seeing what the have to offer.
I've been onto their site and wouldn't mind the Amarone or the GranBarolo.

Latest posts

Back