Mommy, Daddy, what makes wine grape leaves green.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mommy, Daddy, why are grape leaves green?

James Galveston:
I truly respect all your knowledge of wine making ( have read a lot of your post!)and I respect even more the fact that you would in this forum state some things about your color deficiency.

A lot of this you can look up on Google cause there really is a lot to it. I have two friends who cannot see different colors.

A example is one of my friends cannot see red. So instead of seeing red, he sees a grayish black.

I will share a story with you that I think you will find funny,

One of my friend's who is married works in an office so every morning, he would lay out his clothes. He one morning got into a "discussion" with his wife about something that she did not like. So as usual, he asked her if all the shirts and ties he had picked out matched. They did not! so when he asked her about the color combinations, she replied. "you look fine!" needless to say, when he got to work, his friends gave him a hard time. Yes, they are still married but he tells me that he never gets into an argument in the morning with her until after all the clothes match.

Mommy, Daddy, why are grape leaves green

Oh, as I side note,

years ago when I was dating and John Travolta and I wore the same type of clothes, I was known to many others to be color blind when it came to dating!

When I look at all the responses, I am not at all surprised all the information and expertise you all have and also, the myriad of directions that this topic can proceed if anybody wants.

Like I said, Light theory for biology, physics, astronomy, theoretical physics, religion, psychology, animal behavior, comparative religion just goes on and on and on!

Great stuff.

I hope I have not offended anyone and respected all your facts.

available 24hrs...but not in a row!

well, its only greens and blues...and i have seen lots of doctors trying to correct it, but none no how..so i live it....
speaking of color..heres a color story.
I am single, thankfully and I entertain the opposite sex as much as i can make wine.
The other day a lady was over having wine when my cat came in to the room.
she asked, what is the cats name and i said blackie, she said, well its white, and i said, are you sure...LOL....

you wore john travolta clothes....omg...you are a brave man to admit that.
lol....your original post on color was most amusing...thanks...

Mommy, why are grape leaves green?

Actually, not that I think about it. If I did wear John Travolta's clothes, especially from Saturday Night Live, I should have never given them back!

They would be worth some bucks today!

I've read that red green color blindness existed in other primates before our species. Apparently for social animals who eat fruit, there is a benefit to having some color bind individuals. Regular sighted (think it was rhesus) monikers find most of the fruit for the troop when the fruit is ripe because of how it stands out from the foliage. But in leaner times the color blind monikers can find green fruits easier for the troop because they are used to finding fruit by its shape, not color. Evolutionary disadvantage for the individual but possibly an advantage for the whole troop.

Moral of the story is it may be a good thing that we all "see" things differently.

I spent some time reading on Dielectric materials and the transmission of energy and it still makes my head spin but is fascinating! If there is a particular website that would further educate me, I would be grateful!
I would try this one on for size: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/vision/specol.html

The Dielectric material does not seem(correct me if I am wrong and I probably am ) to apply to living plants as they utilize light rays does it but it does appear to explain how we see color in non living things such as a green chair. Again, correct me if I am wrong and I probably am.

No, it certainly applies to plants. "Dielectric" just means something that is not a metal. Examples of dielectrics include: cork, silicon, water, ribeye steak, wood, plastic, glass, monkeys, asphalt, granite, teeth, etc. Let me put it this way: The light I was describing above? It does not know whether your plant was alive or dead. The laws of physics are the same.

I've read that red green color blindness existed in other primates before our species. Apparently for social animals who eat fruit, there is a benefit to having some color bind individuals. Regular sighted (think it was rhesus) monikers find most of the fruit for the troop when the fruit is ripe because of how it stands out from the foliage. But in leaner times the color blind monikers can find green fruits easier for the troop because they are used to finding fruit by its shape, not color. Evolutionary disadvantage for the individual but possibly an advantage for the whole troop.

Moral of the story is it may be a good thing that we all "see" things differently.

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing it!

You know the expression, "Each to his own taste"? There is, of course, an equivalent in many languages. Some of these, we have adopted into English.

In French, the expression is "Chacun à son goût," which means "Each to his own taste." This phrase is not uncommon to be used among English speakers.

In Latin, the most common expression (used in English) is "De gustibus non est disputandum," which is usually translated, "With tastes, there can be no dispute." Interestingly, the full expression is "De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum," which is translated "With tastes and colors there can be no dispute."

Thus, James, no one can dispute that your shirt was green!

been color blind my whole life...lol but thanks...first encounter was when i was about 5, my mom gave me a shirt for school and I told here i did not like green shirts, she....kinda shocked said it was blue....lol

Ahah don't worry, I suffer from a similar condition. When we went color shopping for painting our house:w , I had conversation like this with my wife:

DW: "Honey, which color would you prefer for the living room?" says my wife holding, to my knowledge, identical samples of gray.

LeChat: Thinking this is some kind of a joke I answer "Whelp, they look the same to me, either one would be fine."

DW: "How dare you mix sandstone gray with limestone gray!?" .....:w

It came to the point that I was convinced the paint shop just gave identical colours different name to give the impression that more choice was available.

I mean how many tones of white can there be?!:slp

I would try this one on for size: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/vision/specol.html

No, it certainly applies to plants. "Dielectric" just means something that is not a metal. Examples of dielectrics include: cork, silicon, water, ribeye steak, wood, plastic, glass, monkeys, asphalt, granite, teeth, etc. Let me put it this way: The light I was describing above? It does not know whether your plant was alive or dead. The laws of physics are the same.

Um, no, dielectric has a much more specific definition than that. It is an insulating material that can be polarized when placed in an electric field. I think you'd be hard pressed to demonstrate that corks, ribeye steaks, etc. become polarized.

Um, no, dielectric has a much more specific definition than that. It is an insulating material that can be polarized when placed in an electric field. I think you'd be hard pressed to demonstrate that corks, ribeye steaks, etc. become polarized.

The dielectric constant of cork is 1.5. Ribeye steaks have a dielectric constant of about 100 (at 100 MHz). (Of course, some of these substances, like the steaks, are not perfect insulators, but rather are merely poor conductors. However, that does not mean that they are not properly called "dielectrics.") All of these objects certainly reflect some electromagnetic radiation for the reason I stated above.

I cannot think of anything that cannot be polarized. The materials with the smallest polarizability are noble gases. Even He gas can be slightly polarized, and so has a dielectric constant slightly greater than one. Is there anything (other than vacuum and good conductors) that should NOT be termed a dielectric?

Last edited:
mommy-daddy-what-makes-wine-grape-leaves-gree

"Downwards"

I just wanted to add to the information on the monkeys and color.

In Darwin's book." origin of species"published in 1859, In chapter 19, in which he writes about something called "phyolgenetic Adaptation" and "instinct",It basically states that through evolution animals physical abilities and bodies change over a whole bunch of years such as fish that live deep in the ocean and have no eyes!

Do not ask me how I remember this since as I am not trying to impress anybody! I cannot tell you what I had for breakfast! Some things are just stored in long term memory

So ,possibly the monkeys evolved and the color they needed or did not need evolved with them?

("Inherit the wind" with spencer Tracey who plays Clarence Darrow and the famous Monkey trial--great movie!)

Comparative Psychology or Animal Behavior is really a trip.

I did not know or intend this thread to become so sophisticated. Wow!

I have been casually reading this thread with amazement of all the knowledge so I'm going to throw one out there for y'all and hopefully get an explanation.

Now I am not nearly as apt at science as all of you on this thread, but I do know a thing or two about photography and what certain filters and light temperatures to do colors and contrast. But I can not understand this. I was taking photos for another thread yesterday and wanted to show how to shrink a PVC cap. Look at the picture below, the element on the stove is under a ceramic cook top. It is red/orange to the naked eye as is common with a ceramic top. But while using a digital camera It clearly came out magenta. Even when viewing it on the camera screen and looking at the element beside it, it was magenta on the screen and red to my eye. All other colors in the picture are spot on and there is no incandescent light shift. No filters on the camera. I'm stumped as to why just this one color did this.
I'm sure there is a scientific explanation. Who's got it?

4_capping-equip.jpg

I believe I can shed some light on this (pun intended. :) ), but cannot explain all of it. Most digital cameras have a tendency to display bright light sources in the field of view as purple. (This is referred to as "purple flare.") I am not sure of the exact reason for this, so I cannot help with that.

What I can point out, however, is why you would get that effect from a ceramic cooktop. What not too many people know is that digital cameras can see in the infrared. That is, the silicon sensor absorbs light that is in the IR, even though our eyes cannot see it. To a digital camera, therefore, the cooktop looks like a VERY bright light source. It would be as if you were pointing the camera straight at a light bulb.

The dielectric constant of cork is 1.5. Ribeye steaks have a dielectric constant of about 100 (at 100 MHz). (Of course, some of these substances, like the steaks, are not perfect insulators, but rather are merely poor conductors. However, that does not mean that they are not properly called "dielectrics.") All of these objects certainly reflect some electromagnetic radiation for the reason I stated above.

I cannot think of anything that cannot be polarized. The materials with the smallest polarizability are noble gases. Even He gas can be slightly polarized, and so has a dielectric constant slightly greater than one. Is there anything (other than vacuum and good conductors) that should NOT be termed a dielectric?

Well, ok - I think in the sense you are talking about it, dipoles can be induced in an electric field. But I'm not sure how that all relates to why leaves are green. It is the chlorophyl molecules in the plant that absorb wavelengths other than around 510 nm (the wavelength of green light). These are molecular processes, not necessarily bulk properties.

Well, ok - I think in the sense you are talking about it, dipoles can be induced in an electric field. But I'm not sure how that all relates to why leaves are green. It is the chlorophyl molecules in the plant that absorb wavelengths other than around 510 nm (the wavelength of green light). These are molecular processes, not necessarily bulk properties.

Yes, it was a tangent. In post #10, corinth asked about the process of reflection (from leaves). In post #11, I gave the answer as to why dielectrics reflect light.

I believe I can shed some light on this (pun intended. :) ), but cannot explain all of it. Most digital cameras have a tendency to display bright light sources in the field of view as purple. (This is referred to as "purple flare.") I am not sure of the exact reason for this, so I cannot help with that.

What I can point out, however, is why you would get that effect from a ceramic cooktop. What not too many people know is that digital cameras can see in the infrared. That is, the silicon sensor absorbs light that is in the IR, even though our eyes cannot see it. To a digital camera, therefore, the cooktop looks like a VERY bright light source. It would be as if you were pointing the camera straight at a light bulb.

The light is actually not that bright. Not anywhere near a light bulb or something that would make you squint. But I think you are on track. The IR must be the answer. I did not know digital could see IR spectrum. Thats interesting.

It was weird to stand there and see it with my naked eye as red, then on the camera screen as fuchsia at the same time.

Lori, check out this youtube video, which shows someone using a camera to look at his TV remote control. (Remote controls use an IR transmitter.)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwbayVahocA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwbayVahocA[/ame]

watch

In the youtube video, the color of the IR source looks purple. I have no idea if that is a coincidence or not.

Latest posts

Back