MLF has started on my kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masic2000

Reaction score
MLF has started on my Costco Chardonnay kit a few days after completion of primary fermentation. This was not expected. I'm not sure how to proceed now, as the kit mfg. said to just keep following the instructions . . . I'm also reading that the sorbate should not be added either since the MLF has started. I'm currently at the Stabilizing and degassing stage after which I need to add the K-meta, kieselsol and sorbate.

Not sure how to proceed at this point. I'm trying not to ruin the wine. Can I just add the chemicals as per the instructions and not worry about the MLF? Any suggestions?

I'm seeing a steady stream of tiny CO2 bubbles rising . . . I've never seen this in a kit before. Could it be degassing naturally? How could I tell the difference. If it is degassing then I should be OK to proceed as per the insructions?

Have you ever done an MLF in your winemaking area, my guess is no. I bet it is just degassing. Have you added any kMeta to your kit yet. You could add some, maybe a 1.5 sized dosage. Be careful adding it, my guess is you will get a wine volcano. I would rack back to a bucket and add it, stir the heck out of it, then back to your carboy.

Thanks. This is my first white chardonnay and I have never seen these little bubbles right after primary. I think you have convinced me that this is natural CO2 degassing taking place. I will rack back to a bucket add the chemicals, degass then back to carboy as you suggest.

I will be back sweetening one batch but not the other, so i guess sorbate prior to sweetening to prevent further fermentation. Thanks.

Back