Other Mistaken stabilizer addition advice anyone

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barryray

Junior
Reaction score
Hi,
I am a fairly new wine kit maker residing in Ireland. I was a little sleepy the other morning and mistakenly added the packet of stabilizer instead of the yeast. I probably further complicated it by the adding the yeast packet.
Can this batch be recovered or do I just have 23 liters of strong grape juice to look forward to?
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I think we will need to know for sure what the "stabilizer packet" actually contained. Was it potassium metabilfite, or was it potassium sorbate?

First Let me welcome you to the site.

If you added sorbate it may still be possible to create a ferment. Add Kmet stir vigorously and let stand for 48 hours. You need a rocket fuel yeast such as Lalven EC-1118 place must in warm location. Take 1 1/2 cup of 110F water and add Go-firm according to instructions, let cool to 100F Add yeast. stir gently, then add 1/4 cup 1 to1 sugar water, allow to sit for a day or two until fermentation is running strong, add 1/4 cup must, wait 12 hours stirring to introduce Oxygen add 1/2 cup must. wait 12 hours, add 3/4 cup must wait 12 hours you can wait any amount of time between 12 and 24 hours. follow this until you are adding 2 cups. let ferment for 24 hours then add to must. If at any time fermentation stops start over. if it does not work after 3 attempts, it probably wont work at all.... I have not personally made that mistake myself. But my sister did and that process worked for her. Good luck.

Hello Bergmann,

Thank you for a nice technical reply. I am pretty new to winemaking and this was my 6th kit wine batch.

Pardon my ignorance but what is "kmet"?

I will take a shot at this, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Cheers from across the pond, and again, thanks.

Barry

I had a similar situation a few months ago on a batch I was trying to ferment. I ended up splitting the batch to dilute the sorbate. I added more fresh juice to each of the split batches and was able to dilute enough to get the batches to start fermenting. I also used a yeast starter batch to help get it going.

I hope that helps. Welcome. There are a lot of seasoned wine makers here and tons of advice.

Thanks Boatman24 - I luv the "not a newbie but still clueless"!

Charlesthewino, that sounds like a neat idea, I actually have a new kit arriving this afternoon, same cabernet.

Weird as it may be, last night when I got home from work I saw a little action from the bubbler. It was only one burp per 15 minutes (not the normal 1 per 8-10 seconds on startup) but shows there is some life in there.

I'll ponder this overnight and decide which way to go by Sunday.

I appreciate all your replies and it seems like I have found a great website for future reading and learning about winemaking.

Thanks and Cheers from across the pond,
Barry

Saturday evening now here in Dublin. My fermentation lock is bubbling like normal without having done anything.
Thank you for the tips I will keep them for my future mistakes.
I will let this kit run its course and report back to let you all know how it turns out.
Regardless I have a backup batch to start in case it fails.
My supplier "homebrewwest.ie" has never heard of kmet!

Saturday evening now here in Dublin. My fermentation lock is bubbling like normal without having done anything.
Thank you for the tips I will keep them for my future mistakes.
I will let this kit run its course and report back to let you all know how it turns out.
Regardless I have a backup batch to start in case it fails.
My supplier "homebrewwest.ie" has never heard of kmet!

Kmet or K-met is Potassium Metabisulphite, ask if they know what that is! K is the chemical symbol for Potassium.. The met is an abbreviation for metabisulphite. Type it a few times and you will understand why many abbreviate it. I generally try to spell the abbreviated word out once in each post I use it, but that one? Sometimes I get lazy....:h

Latest posts

Back