WineXpert Mezza Luna Rack Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uavwmn

Reaction score
Hopefully will be stabilizing and clearing the MLR on Fri. Would like to bulk age. Once I transfer to a 2nd carboy after the 14 days, do I do anything else to it? Stir it, check SG, sing to it?? uavwmn

Also, I am thinking of a Piesporter next.
smiley4.gif
I want to make the equal to the Piesporter spatslese that the Germans make. Do not want to make the very sweet version. Any recommendations, friends???

Just make sure you degas it well before adding the fining agents.

With the Piesporter-It lists it as a 2 on the sweetness scale with the addition of the F-pack. You can adjust the sweeteness to your taste by either not either not adding the F-Pack or just adding enough to where you want it

If you make the Vintner's Reserve it is only a 1 on the sweetness scale. I have had that one somebody else made and it was very good. Haven't had the Selection Estate .

<TABLE =maintable borderColor=#000000 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%" border=2>
<T>
<TR>
<TD>Item Number</TD>
<TD>3184</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Description</TD>
<TD>

Piesporter Style

Spicy German tongue teaser with a fragrant aroma.

7.5 litres of premium grape fruit concentrate and ingredients, equipment sold separately. Makes 30 - 750ml Bottles (6 gallons).

Vintners Reserve™ wine kits combine the benefits of pure juice with the convenience and value of a 4-week wine kit. Many Vintners Reserve™ styles also include oak chips to further increase the complexity of the finished wine.</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Current Price</TD>
<TD>$54.99</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Status</TD>
<TD>Stocked</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Order</TD>
<TD>Order</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Picture</TD>
<TD>
vr_white_lg.jpg
</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Flavor</TD>
<TD>Piesporter</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Brand</TD>
<TD>Vintners Reserve</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Manufacturer's Description</TD>
<TD>Named after the village in Germany's Mosel wine region, world-renowned for its high quality wines. Characterized by a vivid fruitiness and lively balancing acidity magically captured through the addition of Brew King's F-pack.</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Sweetness</TD>
<TD>1</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>F-Pack</TD>
<TD>Y</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Oak Type </TD>
<TD>None </TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Oak Intensity </TD>
<TD>0</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Minimum Recomended Aging </TD>
<TD>1 Month</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Wine Peaks At </TD>
<TD>1 Year </TD></TR></T></TABLE>

Kabinett, Spatlese, and Auslese can mean sweetness in the final product, but usually, they mean the ripeness of the grapes at harvest time. German law states different levels of ripeness get different titles. Therefore in Rieslings, Kabinett was the least ripe, Spatlese was more ripe, and Auslese was quite ripe. After that, we get into desert wine territory with Beerenauslese and Beerentrockenauslese. Finally, you end up with eiswein.

Wines from the Peisporter region tend to be always on the Spatlese and Auslese type. Usually, most piesporters rate in at either 1 or 2, and are perceived to taste sweeter the more age they get.

Get a good pieseporter that you like and before you drink it, measure what the SG is. A "1" should be between 1.004 and 1.007. A "2" is going to be between 1.008 and 1.011. A "0" is usually below 1.003. The reason why we get well below 1.000 is that we don't usually get a lot of residual solids left in the wine as we don't use whole grapes, but concentrates in kits.

Anyways, I always advocate getting the biggest and best kit you can afford, so I'd go for the bigger kit, however, if the VR is a closer match to your tastes, taste rules all!

Wade, so I degas it first before I put the rest of the little packs of ingredients in?

Dean, I will get the Piesporter today and check the SG. WOW, thanks!!

Put all the ingredients in except the clearing agents, degas well (I sometimes dont add clarifier for a few days to make sure it is degassed good) then add fining agent.

Latest posts

Back