WineXpert Mesh bag for skins- really needed?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdeere5220

Farmer Member
Reaction score
I've been making all of the WE Eclipse kits and the other international kits that have skins for the last year or two. Eclipse Merlot (2), Cabernet (2), Barolo (2). Argentine Malbec, etc...

As I'm racking my second batch of Eclipse Merlot from the primary today, I wonder if it's really necessary to use that mesh bag for the grape skins. Why not just poor the grape skins right into the must? Is this just a clearing time issue? I don't care about clearing time, I always let them clear extra months. Is there some other reason for the bag? It seems like you would get more "good stuff" from the skins if you just poured them right in and let things party!

Has anyone else forgone using the mesh bag for the skins?

Thanks!

I'm not an expert on skins because I just started with them. I have 2 of the Grand Cru International kits going that came with skins and oak. There was an optional instructions saying you didn't have to use the mesh bag for more of an impact (my words) so I didn't. I didn't have any problems racking until the bottom and then just moved the racking cane around and it was fine for me.

You do not have to use the mesh bag at all, but it does help make subsequent racking/cleaning either. Several people have commented in the past that not using the bag ended up being more trouble for them than it was worth when it came time to rack. Your wine will not be deficient in any way whether you use the bag or not.

I dont do kits but I think that by adding fruit are grapes to a bag sure helps when you start to rack.

Latest posts

Back