RJ Spagnols Merlot sugar crystals

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giovannino

Reaction score
Just a reminder that I use a Bottle on premises service.

Made a RJS Chilean Merlot and although it tastes good for now, I have found "sugar crystals" - can't explain it any other way - and also found it has sediment sticking to the side of the bottle.

Any input would be appreciated about what might have happened or if this is a "normal" thing for this kit.

Not happy

Is this by any chance a limited edition Cru Select, Winery Series, or En Primeur? If so this is normal as these are very high quality kits and wine diamonds are a indicator of high quality juice. If this is from a lesser kit then I would assume they screwed up in the concentration as this typically doesnt happen with these but I would think you would have noticed a high starting sg. This is why when we make wine from high quality juices or from fresh grapes we cold stabilize the wine after fermentation to precipitate this out as cooler temps help to drop it out but it can drop out at warmer temps but takes longer.

The only Chilean Merlot listed on the RJS web page ia an En Primeur. (Giovannino please try to provide the complete kit name.) En Primeur kits normally drop wine diamonds (as Wade mentioned).

Steve

Just a reminder that I use a Bottle on premises service.

Made a RJS Chilean Merlot and although it tastes good for now, I have found "sugar crystals" - can't explain it any other way - and also found it has sediment sticking to the side of the bottle.

Any input would be appreciated about what might have happened or if this is a "normal" thing for this kit.

Not happy
This is likely an En Premier or a Glad Hatter. The Glad Hatter is a new series only available to Academy style stores. These are very good kits made with premium concentrates and juice very nice kits for the price range. The drop out is an indicator of the quality of the juice and concentrate used in these kits. The sediment can happen as well when bottling with a BOP as the BOP is expected to follow the kit instructions and there for the time lines in the instructions. Even with filtering with quality kits fine tannins can drop out after even though the wine looks clear going into the bottle. If you don't like the sediment on the side of your bottle ask the BOP to bulk age your kit for a while offer to come in and top up your carboy as the operator is not allowed to do that by law. Bulk age for a couple months then come in and bottle the sediments will be left in the carboy.

Thanks for the reply guys.

Yes it IS a En Primeur Talagante Chilean Merlot. I don't mind the sediment but don't much care for the wine diamonds at the end of a glass. This has never happened with any Winexpert premium kits and, have not experienced it with the RJS En Primeur Carmenére yet.

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

Thanks for the reply guys.

Yes it IS a En Primeur Talagante Chilean Merlot. I don't mind the sediment but don't much care for the wine diamonds at the end of a glass. This has never happened with any Winexpert premium kits and, have not experienced it with the RJS En Primeur Carmenére yet.

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.
The idea behind EnPrimuer series kits is to give the customer as close as possible to an unaltered juice wine. There of course has to be some concentrate to keep the kit shelf stable. But the series uses juice that is not as filtered as other company's use in their kits in this particular series. There is a filtering system used on most kits that takes out most of the wine diamonds which is what you refer to a sugar crystals.I have seen these in commercial wines and every wine kit makers kits I have used some more so than others so the filter they use is not absolute. I have only read about the juice set up once on another forum and it was explained by Tim V. so my memory is a bit sketchy as to the name of the system but with out going into too much detail this is how the set up of kits is done. Ask your BOP if they will cold stabilize for you. This will again leave the sediments and the cystals in the carboy not your bottle. You will need to top up to keep your wine from oxidizing but it is a small effort to get a premium clear wine.

Is that not from sugar but Tartaric acid ...

just for the FYI of the thread ... what is the temp to cold stabilize at?

In my store I use 0C as a cold stabilizing temperature as that is where my cooling system is set at. I set the wine in after degassing and clearing for two weeks this will seed the titrates and once you have the seed the rest will gather quickly. I would not go too much cooler even if you could as I believe that wine will start at freeze at
-6C. I may be off here a bit for temperature of the freezing as I have not personally experimented to find the freezing point. The key is to get the temperature lower than the wine will be kept at as if you don't and the temperature drops below the stabilizing temperature the titrates will drop out again.

Giovannino, I get the same deal with my higher end kits, and I have not been cold stabilizing...just straight to bottle (via filter) around Day 60 to 90.
I guess you could do as I do (if you do not want the diamonds or tannin sediments in your glass) and that is simply to carefully decant from bottle to jug before drinking. You just need to be steady, firm yet gentle.

Again, thanks everyone for your input - it is appreciated.

What is surprising, comparing oranges to oranges (although not grape to grape), is that the same hasn't happened with the Carmenere. I'll have to keep an eye out.

Thanks

Back