Meja

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEJA

Junior
Reaction score
When making a fruit wine and it is in a 6 gal carboy filled to the neck how would the wine be affected if the water in the airlock evaporated away? This happened to me when I left a carboy of Cherry Wine set for about 6 months, I went ahead and bottled the wine even though it had an unfinished bite to it? Will the wine mellow as it ages in the bottles or was that bite caused by the exposure to O2 in the neck of the carboy?

If the level was filled up into the neck of the carboy - and there was no water in the airlock - then O2 was able to come in contact with your wine. O2 at this point is not good for you wine at all. It will probably oxidize a little - however - it sounds like you had little surface area exposed - so it may not be as bad as a wine not topped up.

The bite you are referring to might be a young wine as well. Oxidized taste is usually more of a flat tasting or a metallic taste.

Latest posts

Back