Malolactic Fermentation taking a long time

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought you weren't suppose to add any because it will hinder the Malo bacteria. So I didn't add any Kmeta at all. I was waiting to do that after Malo finished.

So you should be fine on that front.

Did a ph test today and it registered at 3.59. I think the higher pH means lower TA. Not sure if that means anything. When I mixed the wine, there was not many bubbles at all. Gonna wait a few more days and do another chromo test to see where it is at.

Patience grasshopper. The paper chromotography test is good. PH should go up as Malo goes but is a lousy way to see if it is complete. Just keep it topped off, not too warm in the cellar and don't get too impatient to add kmbs. Remember, each time you open it to test, sample or whatever, you are adding oxygen and bad bugs. You don't want bad bugs, but you want the Malo to finish. Voice of experience, renewed Malo in the bottle is interesting at best.

I often let my new wines just sit under air lock for a while after I think Malo may be done. Like 3-4 weeks. I figure a bit of co2 is better than a shot of air to see what is happening. If it is sound and of good pH, and 3.59 is good, your risk is low.

it is late spring, go outside and contemplate this year's harvest, yours or someone else's, and let it be for a bit longer, just keep the air out.

Hope it is beautiful in the end.

Patience grasshopper.

it is late spring, go outside and contemplate this year's harvest, yours or someone else's, and let it be for a bit longer, just keep the air out.

Great advice. I will try to be more Zen when it comes to the malo process. I am a tinkerer by nature. And since our Chilean grape purchase was put on hold, I guess I am looking for something to tinker with.

Here is an update. Waited a couple more weeks and did another chromo. It's like groundhog's day. Looks identical to the last one I did. I am 16 weeks in. Is there any problems with re-adding bacteria? We have a second batch about ready to start Malo ferm and will have some bacteria left over. So I was thinking that we can use the remained bacteria on the one that does not seem to be moving. (Another note about that. The bacteria is not the same as what I used first, would that be a problem?). No Kmeta has been added yet. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks. (On the pic, the one on the far right has been going for 16 weeks). ImageUploadedByWine Making1468249119.199559.jpg

Thanks for the input. I am going to go ahead and re-pitch this week when we pitch the new batch and see what happens as well. Thanks for the help and for not commenting on how I spelled Sirah on the sheet! Haha. I am starting to lose it!!

Cold Malo is ok if you make sure you are safe. As long as you have active bubbles, the co2 is protecting you. I'm thinking the temperature is an issue as others why it is taking time. Remember, traditionally Malo fermentation happened in the spring as the cellar warmed up.

I try to keep my Malo phase at 60f, if pH is Good<3.8 and I can keep a clean airlock. I try to hit 65 to get it started, then cool it down. It can take 10-12 weeks. There is risk due to holding off on meta, but I like the results of the colder process. I leave it on the second lees as well.

Remember, do nothing, as long as bad stuff isn't happening, is often the best course.

Well said. Doing less is sometimes better than more.

I agree sometimes less is better then more. I am just worried that the wine sitting to long unprotected, while waiting for the Malo to finish, will end badly.

Latest posts

Back