Malolactic Bacteria

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't know that about malic acid and apples, sour grapes - interesting. I had 3 gl each of apple juice concentrate and then one of crab apples. Needed my 3 gl carboys and wasn't thrilled with either, so threw them together into the 6 gl with the oak chips. Now it's the waiting game. Will back-sweeten if necessary. Thought maybe MLF would help smooth it out. Learned that meyer lemons are really too sweet for this wine. Guess the neighbor's lemon tree is safe once again!

I just backs weekend a 6 gallon batch of cranberry wine I made from a cranberry base plus I added cut up and mashed frozen cranberries. Backsweetened to 1.020 which is where I was aiming
My wife and I tasted it is missing that tartness you get when we have bought a bottle from the store. Is there anything I can do to add the tartness ? Thanks to anyone who can help

i add my malolactic bacteria (vp41) after i rack for the first time around 8 weeks in secondary.

I just backs weekend a 6 gallon batch of cranberry wine I made from a cranberry base plus I added cut up and mashed frozen cranberries. Backsweetened to 1.020 which is where I was aiming
My wife and I tasted it is missing that tartness you get when we have bought a bottle from the store. Is there anything I can do to add the tartness ? Thanks to anyone who can help

Well, I have never heard of anyone adding acid to cranberry, but you could add some acid blend (available at your LHBS). But do bench trials with small amounts of wine to see what tastes good to you before you alter the whole batch!

Latest posts

Back